Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 05:22 AM

On Sept. 12 we will be setting sail on the Radiance of the Seas going to Alaska and beyond. Just wondering if someone has suggestions on what type of footwear might be best in Alaska.
Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 05:29 AM

I'd suggest comfortable, and possibly waterproof or water resistant shoes, such as sneakers. If you plan to do water sports, kayaking, etc., take Tevas or similar. If you plan to do serious hiking, take waterproof hiking shoes. But for general, all-around excursions, a good pair of sneakers should "foot" the bill.

You can wear the sneakers onboard the ship, too, during the day, plus a pair of dress shoes for night.

Sandy
Old 08-18-2008, 06:30 AM

My husband and I were in Alaska early May. We opted for waterproof shoes and jackets and are so glad we did. We were caught in a downpour in Sitka and our feet and underclothing stayed dry. We both preferred Keen shoes for their comfort. To save money I went to a local store and tried them on to get a correct fit and style. I then googled the shoe and bought them online more reasonable.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
On my first trip to Alaska I worn a good pair of Nike's....on the second trip I wore my new favorite Crocs...I like the Crocs (really a knockoff from Wal-Mart) but they were comfortable and since I wear low cut socks with them, when it rained, I just took the socks off....I wear them all winter in MN and they worked just fine in Alaska.....Happy sailing...I leave in 9 days to Alaska again...

Bob E
Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 AM

Thank you for asking this question, I've been wondering also.
Due to back problems, I wear Z-coils. I plan on wearing them at airports, walking, etc. but worried about rain ruining them.
I am now going to Walmart, thanks BOb E.,to buy a new pair of Crocs (not sure what brand is) as they are slip resistant. Just saw them recently, more expensive than other ($22.00) but thought the slip resistant part would be good if raining, etc. Hate to ruin my Z-coils!
We are leaving this Saturday so better get packing!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Bubbas Mom,

I paid $5 for the Croc knockoffs....bought 10 pairs in case they stop making them:-)....they are very skid resistant except on very smooth surfaces that a wet.....I leave in 4 days so I had better pack too.....Long pants, sweathers, rain gear warm sock....was only 51 degrees and raining up there this week.....but that's a heat wave for Minnesota.....Happy sailing....You will truly love Alaska

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
alaskan, cruise, keen, shoes