Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Alaska Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/)
-   -   Photo safari excursions. (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/35512-photo-safari-excursions.html)

gdjoslin 11-01-2008 05:40 PM

Anyone ever do a Photos safari excursion? I noticed one is listed for Juneau.

bizzybee 11-03-2008 12:15 PM

My husband and I did the Photo Safari By Land and Sea out of Juneau in May. We really enjoyed it. The first stop was Mendenhall Glacier. We got some great shots of the glacier, closeups of a nearby hedgehog, and took a short walk through a wooded area. The guide took his time and suggested a few closeups of trees, foliage, etc.. The down side was we did not walk close to the glacier or the waterfall like our tablemates who went on their own. To us that was not a big deal, but may be important to others. After the glacier visit, we drove to a marina and boarded a small boat. We got pictures of seals, whales, sea lions, and eagles. My all-time favorite was a shot of a buoy with an eagle on top, sea lions on the bottom and a whale spouting nearby. I do not know if that was out of the ordinary to see so much wildlife, but I must say it was the most memorable of our excursions and the photo I show most often. I hope you enjoy Alaska as much as we did.

gdjoslin 11-03-2008 03:13 PM

Thanks bizzybee. we have cruised to Juneau twice and seen the glacier both times. The Photo excursion does not interest my wife, but we will be with friends this time so I might do one on my own.
Did you book on shore or with the ship? How about sharing some of those Photos?
thanks
Gary

bizzybee 11-05-2008 03:52 PM

We booked the excursion through the ship. Originally we wanted to book an excursion to Tracy Arm (not through the ship). However, we disembarked about 20 minutes after that excursion left. I would love to share some pictures, but I wouldn't know where to start. Moving from film to digital several years ago was a big step for me. I did view some of your pictures gdjoslin, and I must say they were impressive.

gdjoslin 11-06-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bizzybee:
We booked the excursion through the ship. Originally we wanted to book an excursion to Tracy Arm (not through the ship). However, we disembarked about 20 minutes after that excursion left. I would love to share some pictures, but I wouldn't know where to start. Moving from film to digital several years ago was a big step for me. I did view some of your pictures gdjoslin, and I must say they were impressive.
Thanks for you kind words.
Once you start sharing you photos on line you won't want to stop. I
It strange but booking this excursion on line (not with the ship), cost more than booking thru HAL. $189 with the cruise line, $199.. online directly with the company.
what kind of gear did you take.

bizzybee 11-08-2008 11:59 AM

My husband and I are somewhat amateur photographers. We took our Canon Rebel XTI, with a 70-300mm lens and a 17-85mm lens. On the trip there was a variety of people. One guy came equipped with a large backpack of equipment and tripod. Others carried a point and shoot type camera.

gdjoslin 11-08-2008 08:32 PM

You have some nice gear. It also cover a very nice shooting range.
Thanks

gdjoslin 11-16-2008 06:01 PM

Thanks for all the information. I booked the excursion today. Might rent a longer lens for this cruise. i did run exposure plot on my last Alaskan cruise and found that 90% (yes it tells you) of my photos in Alaska were taken at 18mm. A few teles but most are wide angle scenic.

Larry in Miami 02-10-2009 12:37 PM

Sound like just my kind of tour! http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

Larry in Miami 02-10-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gdjoslin:
Thanks for all the information. I booked the excursion today. Might rent a longer lens for this cruise. i did run exposure plot on my last Alaskan cruise and found that 90% (yes it tells you) of my photos in Alaska were taken at 18mm. A few teles but most are wide angle scenic.
Nice pictures!