Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 06:10 PM
We spent 2 weeks traveling Alaska staying in a variety (5) hotels, B & B'b, cabins etc. IT NEVER GETS DARK THERE! Only one place had dark window coverings, most had none so that you can see the view I guess. You would think they'd know we are tourist, tourist that come from places that actually have "night time".
My advice...pack different types of "pins" so you can pin up towels or anything else you can find to cover windows. We also pack those night masks to wear and that helped.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 PM

I just came back from a week of cruise and 2nd week on land. During our self-guided 2nd week land tour, we drove roughly 1,300 miles and spend nights at 4 different hotels.

The long daylight hours actually never affected anyone in our party of four. For us it was part of the unique Alaskan experience. Just make sure you plan to do enough outdoor activities to tire yourselves out then sleeping won't be a problem.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:46 AM

Tylenol PM works for that as well. I have spent a lot of time in Alaska during the summer, it does take some getting used to but if you have 2 beds in your room, you can always throw the blanket up on the curtain rod as well for a little extra darkness.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:01 PM

We were on a 7-day Alaskan cruise last month. I love the long daylight hours. That was the most exciting part of the trip as far as I'm concerned. We'd walk around on the deck at 11:00pm and it's still daylight -- we'd wake up at 4:30am and it's daylight. Did it ever get dark? I've no idea! Loved it.

Lanie
Old 06-13-2007, 04:09 PM
The sun comes down to the horizon, sits there a while, then goes back up--amazing to see.

Closed Thread