Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 AM

Smile kayaking vs rafting
anyone out there who has done either or both in Juneau that can give me their thoughts on which would be best? My choice would be to either sea kayak or to take the river rafting tour? we are looking for which one would provide the most scenic and nature filled experience. have done both here in the poconos so the decision is to which would be the most fullfilling in Alaska. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Karen
Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 AM

I went kayaking in Juneau a couple of years ago. It was terrific. There were mostly 2-person kayaks, and the water was calm. We were within sight of Mendenhall Glacier the whole time. We paddled around for an hour or more, with a guide, and saw seals and other marine animals that I can't recall right now. Once back on shore, we had cider and snacks before the ride back to the ship.

I've never been rafting, so I can't speak to that.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:49 PM
I've done both and the only difference is kayaking is a lot more work.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 PM

thank you both for your input...f-mattox...being you have done both can you tell me how physically challenging the kayaking would be in alaska...exhausting? Sandy mentions it being calm, is that typical? would we come out of the trip sore and tired? Also, astetically speaking...which area, sea vs. the lake would be more picturesque? you say they are both the same with the type of animals/marine life? This trip is being planned as a gift and I am trying to really make it enjoyable for her.Thanks again for your time.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Both the kayak and rafting excursions give you an up-close look at the Mendenhall Glacier. The rafting excursion takes you down river a ways. An hour+ paddle in calm water, which is the norm, is not going to exhaust you at all, or at least it shouldn't; you go at your own pace. My last paddle was closer to two hours in rather choppy water and I was tired at the end. But not too tired to go shopping :-)
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks for your input. booked the kayaking. Feel the slower pace is more fitting for the area and will give us more time to soak up our surroundings. JUST HOPE A WHALE DOESNT COME TOO CLOSE!!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM

You'll love the kayak tour. When we did it, they gave us "aprons" that we wore and that fit around the opening of the kayak, to keep water out. Nothing got wet, anyway, except the paddle blades and the bottom of the kayak.

It's very calm, quiet and peaceful. It's not very physically taxing, and when you get tired of paddling, you just stop and sit for a while until you want to paddle again. The group is always in sight and there's time to paddle around on your own. We didn't see any whales that close to shore.

Tags
alaska, canoe, compared, difference, excursion, glacier, juneau, kayak, kayaking, mendenhall, port, rafting, review, sea, tiring