Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Default Sitka excursions
Well we are finally getting ready to blow another Alaska cruise. I think this time we will be going to Sitka, not Skagway. Still love Skagway and I am sure we could find plenty of new things to do there. However this time it will be Sitka.

Anyone have and thoughts on excursions?

Thanks
Gary

Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 AM

We took a morning excursion to the Alaska Raptor Center, where they rescue and rehabilitate eagles, owls, etc. from all over the country. It's a very interesting operation. We also stopped to see the totem pole park and possibly a couple of other places as part of the excursion.

In the afternoon, we walked through Sitka on our own, visiting the small but wonderful Sheldon Jackson Museum. It's a round building housing lots of Indian and Eskimo artifacts. The building itself is as historic as the collection. Down the street was the former home of a Russian cleric, whose name escapes me.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM

Thanks Sandy. We were/are considering the Raptor Center. How far away from the pier (Sitka might be a tender port?) is the Center? Just wondering if it is walking distance? Also are there buses in Sitka. We normal book with the Ship, but might do it a little different this time.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 PM

Gary, the Raptor Center could be walking distance, but we did a tour with several stops. Check the information in the Destinations section of this Cruise Reviews site.

The town itself, with the museum, is close to the pier.

Not sure about the buses.

Last edited by Sandy; 03-10-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi Gary, lucky man to be going back to Alaska!

Sitka was my least favorite port, Skagway was my favorite. Sitka seemed to be kind of a dumpy little town although I did like the Raptor Center. If I remember, the Center was a good couple of miles from the tender port.

The day we were there was foggy and cold and rainy, yucky in general. We couldn't see any mountains. That could have been a reason for my apathy about Sitka, but I didn't like the tender either. I was nervous the whole time that we would miss getting back to the ship.

I did like the Archangel Russian dancers.

If I ever go back to Alaska I would probably choose an itinerary that omits Sitka. I sound like a grumpy Gus but the other ports were just so much better I thought.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Thanks Sandy. I am not sure if we will book or hoof it at this port. I did Google it (my Son would be proud of me...he work for them). They have a system called The Ride.. Does not sound like a bad deal.

Popcorn Pam, thanks for the reply. I have heard that Sitka is not the best port. After 4 times during Skagway we are ready for another port. We also preferred Skagway over the other ports. This photo was taken in 2009 as we were leaving. We stopped at Haines and watched the fireworks (4th of July). We got to enjoy fireworks twice that 4th. The first of in Juneau. Juneau is the first place in the Nation to set them off. The start a 1 second past midnight on the 3rd..or starting of the 4th..
2nd photo was from Juneau.

I hope I do not jinx myself but with 4 Alaska trips under our belts we had yet to have a rainy day. Our first time in Glacier Bay was cold and cloudy, but we could see.

Thanks again for all your help Sandy and Popcorn Pam.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 PM

What spectacular pictures, Gary! Thanks for posting.

Does your son work in the Mountain View office?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Thanks Sandy.
Yes he has been there a little over 10 years.
Loves his job.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Talking
We did Sitka a couple of years ago....took the city tour which wasn't much...we did see the Russian Dancers which was probably the highlight of the tour....went to a Russian church and more or less just drove around...The bus driver said for entertainment in Sitka, the locals drive around town one way, then reverse the car and drive around the other way...not much to see or do....but it's still Alaska..I'm heading to Alaska for my 4th trip up there, It's truly God's country...Up again to the White Pass Railway in Skagway:-) and having lunch at the Red Onion Saloon with some very nice people from Austrialia who I met on my Panama Canal cruise, they are on a different ship but just happened to book their cruise for the same time I booked mine...the world gets smaller all the time...Happy sailing and at least you will say that you've been to Sitka, Alaska....

Bob E
Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Default Sitka excursion
Hi all...we were in Sitka last summer and had a good time....we took the local 'hop on
hop off' bus, stopped to admire totems and then to the Raptor Center...that was very
interesting. The rest of the day we wandered in town, stopped in to a local watering
hole, made a few purchases and back to our ship.....I would go again...I think it will
be as good as you make it....

Tags
alaska, bus, celebrity, cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, hop, port, review, reviews, shore, sitka, skagway, tours