Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 12:42 PM

Default Inside Passage - Go Northbound
Hi everyone

I just thought I would offer this piece of advice, which my mom told me that she heard from someone the other day. If you do an Alaska cruise, and do the inside passage, the better direction to go is NORTHBOUND. The reason being, the scenery is great at the northern end of that, and only so-so at the southern end. If you do the northbound direction, you are in a way building up to the best scenery at the end of the inside passage cruise.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)

Last edited by MCPayne; 08-20-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:13 PM

On the other hand, for those who want to do a cruise with land extension, it is better to do the land first and then a Southbound cruise. By doing the land first you get all the busy land touring out of the way, and packing/unpacking etc. Then on the cruise you unpack once and and then relax for seven days. A Southbound cruise will also cut off a little bit of flying home time at the end. Not much, but a little.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Administrator

There are also far more air choices if you end the cruise in Seattle or Vancouver than you have in Anchorage.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I suppose it's just a matter of semantics, but what Princess calls an "Inside Passage" cruise is round-trip from Seattle, Vancouver or San Francisco, so you are seeing much of the same scenery twice. I personally think the segment between Vancouver Island and the B.C. mainland is the most picturesque . . . no matter which direction you are traveling.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-mattox View Post
I suppose it's just a matter of semantics, but what Princess calls an "Inside Passage" cruise is round-trip from Seattle, Vancouver or San Francisco, so you are seeing much of the same scenery twice. I personally think the segment between Vancouver Island and the B.C. mainland is the most picturesque . . . no matter which direction you are traveling.
Thanks for mentioning that, f-mattox. I guess that may have an impact on my decision on which cruise line to choose. If that's the case, then maybe I'll go with the Norwegian Jewel, unless their version of the inside passage is something similar. Although like others have said, that would be a round trip cruise from Seattle.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Yes; decide if you want to go round trip from Seattle or Vancouver (or San Francisco) OR all the way across the Bay of Alaska, either to or from Anchorage/Whittier. If you are going to do a land tour also, you will need to go to Anchorage/Whittier.

In spite of what your friend said about Northbound cruises, I have to agree with Cruise Fanatic: I would much rather do the land tour first and then relax on the cruise. And as Dave pointed out, you will have more air choices from Seattle or Vancouver AND a shorter flight.

But whatever you decide, I know you will have an absolutely fantastic vacation. Alaska is just incredible.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Thanks for your input everyone. Unfortunately, with my work schedule, I can only do a 7 night cruise at the most no matter where I choose. Also, it appears the two cruise lines that would be most convenient to my schedule are Norwegian and Princess, as those cruises leave on the weekends.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Go Northbound!
Check out Royal Caribbean Rhapsody if you can leave on a Friday - Seattle to Seattle. You get the inside passage going North, Juneau and Skagway, then come back "outside" with a stop in Victoria. Rhapsody is going into dry dock in April I think so she will be "bright and shiny" for a cruise this year.

Tags
35, alaska, aug, cruise, inland, inside, lines, northbound, passage, passagealaska, princess, reasons, review, reviews, schedule, southbound, weekday