Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Administrator

We are excited about our 'return to Alaska' cruise next year. It really is a cruise location that evokes emotions. I don't think I've ever felt a better sense of well being while on a cruise.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 PM

We have been to Alaska 3 times. Never had a balcony. Twice we had an inside and once a window. I am usually up early roaming the decks for photos and lido for coffee.

As Dave said rail space is hard to find in Glacier bay. I try to spot a few of the out of the way spot before we get to the Bay. Also I do not tend to stay put.

We also try to book a cabin close to an aft deck. We prefer the aft section.

For us a balcony is no worth the price. However when we cruise the warmr waters to Mexico I usually get one.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:12 AM

Balcony cabins are very nice, there's no denying that. However, the cruise is the most important thing. If your wallet can afford an inside, then so be it. There is no rule that states you cannot get up and about at any hour. I've sailed in insides, outsides, and balconies. Of course, I prefer a balcony and I'm sure I'd love a suite, but my wallet doesn't allow me that much luxury. So, if I want to cruise, I book what I can afford.

I'm like Gary, I'm up early and out on the decks. I like to walk on the circuit each morning, get coffee for my hubby and some tea for me, take pictures or just enjoy the quiet. Even with a balcony cabin, I do the same routine.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Talking
4 cruises to Alaska and never a Balcony....first time was an inside cabin...won't do that again...slept way too much....Ocean view is a great way to go...Remember, it's cool, wet and windy...so there are times you really can't enjoy a balony...Much more fun to roam the ship and meet and greet the other passengers........Just got back from a 14 day Hawaii Circle cruise with a balony...Hardly ever sat out there....just too much to do on the ship.....My opinion, but I'm sticking to it:-)...out of 27 cruises, Alaska is still my favorite...

Bob E
Old 01-01-2012, 09:00 PM

Default Balconies
I wouldn't cruise without one. It is so relaxing to sit in private overlooking the ocean, drinking your morning cup of coffee - and fun watching docking into the next port without jockeying for a prime spot on the public decks. You'll miss a lot on an Alaska cruise if you don't have a balconey (reserve a starboard cabin). Bring warm clothing and you'll be happy sitting there. Balconies are also a must for a Caribbean cruise because you will want to wear virtually no clothing and no one can see you on your private balconey!
Beware privacy on some of Princesses balconies. Their decks are stacked on some ships, so the people above you can look down on you - not very private.

If you can afford to spend a few hundred extra, it is more than worth it.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks for all your input everyone. In looking at prices, I don't think I can afford a balcony, so if and when I do an Alaska cruise, I may just book an inside room, then just get up early and view the glaciers from either a lounge inside or the outside decks.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Michael,

There is perhaps nothing more serene than sitting in a Viking Crown Lounge in the evening while the beauty of Alaska slowly sweeps by. Depending on the cruise date, even at 10pm it is close to daylight conditions outside.

Balconies are nice for Alaska, but then again the cruise lines don't have a problem selling out their inside cabins.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Talking
I've sailed to Alaska 4 times and will sail again in 2013....Never have had a balcony...The first time we had an inside room...never again:-)...But an ocean view is very nice...Most of the time, we enjoy Alaska in May....Too cold and windy for a balcony....I don't think it's worth the extra money...When we've had balconies (an upgrade) on other cruises, I never spend enough time on them to make it worth while...but that's just me....I would rather spend time walking around the ship meeting people....If you can afford it, do it, if you would rather spend the money on excursions do that too....Just enjoy Alaska...it's wonderful....Happy sailing...

Bob E
Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Oh boy it is so different for everyone but I would say, if ever you should get a Balcony ALASKA it one of those times!! Day light is very long and being able to sit out on your own private spot in PJ's is PRICELESS! Views all day long. When we got to Hubbard Glacier we gave up trying to see and get great pictures on the top deck and we ended up doing it all from our balcony....lovely :OD Tell us what you choice to do!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Thanks everyone. Just as a follow up, I was checking itineraries and prices for August / September next year, and I'm not sure that I can afford much above an Ocean View, if that, so I may just have to do an inside cabin, and go to the public lounges / open decks for the glacier viewing, and just make sure I get up there early.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)

Tags
alaska, alaskan, balcony, cruise, cryise, extra, otter, pay, powered, reviews, room, sea, september, vbulletin, worth