Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM

Default Best excursions in Ketchikan and Juneau for the Adventurous
My husband and I are in our 30 and 40's. We are going on NCL May 6th from Vancouver to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria BC. The only thing we know is that we are definately doing the railway in Skagway.

For Juneau and Ketchikan, we are interested in active authentic excursions (not zip line or white water rafting as we've done these elsewhere and would rather experience true alaska). We want to see wildlife (bears especially), hike and/or ice climb on glaciers, maybe Kayak with Whales. Which port is best for which excursions? We are not concerned with price as we know this will be the only time we will experience Alaska.

Also, what are some of the reputable and recommended private tour companies in each port? We would prefer not to do tours with the ship.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Smile I always start by going to tourism website in each port
then finding some idea WHAT is offered there,,and some guides to check out.Can contact references and never pay up front.Then when you see some tour,,check it out on you tube to see if there.
My hubby did the kayak with whales in Juneau,,but didn t SEE any,,oh well,,he had fun.But was cold and wet.They do give waterproof gear,but be prepared for that.
We did several glacier tours ,but with cruise excursion.Felt a time constraint in some ports and went with safe option.
Also, get a few guidebooks from library to give you more ideas,,or purchase them to bring with you(or kindle etc).
No matter what you chose,,have fun.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Administrator

For Juneau, one suggestion I have is to hike Mendenhall Glacier. You can get there quickly by public bus. Once there, there are a number of trails to choose from. I'm not quite sure how close you can actually get to the glacier, though, but information should be available on their Web site: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

We are also cruising to Alaska soon, and booked a tour in Ketchikan through the cruise line that visits the Alaska Rain Forest Sanctuary. It's a short hike -- only a half-mile, I believe -- and it was actually less expensive to book through the cruise line than with the operator. Then again, you'd get more time there if you booked on your own.

I'm sure others will come along with more ideas. Happy planning!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Welcome home! Curious as to what you ended up doing. We leave in a few weeks. Thanks!

Tags
10, 2012, alaska, cruise, excursion, excursions, juneau, kayak, ketchikan, pm, port, rafting, review, reviews, skagway, water, whales