Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2002, 07:15 PM

A personal note on shopping in Ketchikan: my camera broke on the 2nd day of our cruise & I had to buy a new one in Ketchikan (our first stop on a 10-day northbound trip). I was worried that it would cost an arm & a leg, and checked into getting some kind of transportation to the Walmart outside of town. Cab rides were quoted as $20! Decided to take our chances at a camera shop right by the cruise dock, and was happily surprised to find a decent brand-name point & shoot camera w/ same features as my old one, for very little more than I would have purchased it at home in the lower 48!
Karen
Old 08-06-2002, 12:18 AM

Thanks for all the comments ! This is a real help! gOING NORTH TO aLASKA ON aUGUST 28 th!
Old 08-06-2002, 05:50 PM

Is the Dogsledding tour worth the xtra $$? Heading to Inside Passage 9/14 aboard Zaandam, so it could be getting very cold by then, right?
Old 08-06-2002, 06:12 PM

For Karen and anyone else from warmer climes, Alaska will probably feel cold to you anyway, September or not. Every year is different, so our experience will not necessarily match yours, but our first AK trip was that same week in SEpt. They had had an early frost, and fall colors had started inland,north of Anchorage. We found temperatures comfortable (for those of us who are used to cold weather), namely highs between 50 and 60, lows around 40 overnight. Sunshine was abundant the week we were there (not always true) so we were comfortable in jeans, longsleeved shirts and quilted vests or sweatshirts. It could also be warmer than that this year - probably not much colder, though perhaps a bit raw if it's rainy and damp. Layers, layers, layers - that's the word on clothes. If the idea of the dogsled ride appeals to you, then layer up and enjoy!
Karen
Old 08-16-2002, 09:01 PM

We are ready! I think! We will see! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Carnival~ Spirit August 28 Bon Voyage! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2002, 08:54 PM

Have a great cruise and be sure to write a review when you return.

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, do, excurions, excursion, excursions, forum, haines, join, miss, review, reviews, tours