Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Alaska Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/)
-   -   Alaska Cruise First time (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/424-alaska-cruise-first-time.html)

Sherif 02-25-2009 08:29 AM

Hi
Planning a family cruise next July; we are a family of 4: 55+41+19+18 years old, will have a minisuite that will accommodate all of us; after scanning many posts and reading some books we made up our mind to have the southbound cruise depart Anchorage to Vancouver.
We have three cruise lines availabe:
1] Radisson; 7 seas Mariner,
2] RC, Radiance of the seas, and
3] Celebbrity's Millennium.
We will glade if somebody could recommed us which ship we will have, all tips and advcice are highly apprechiated; as this will be our first and last cruise as a family to Alaska; and we would like to sort it very well
Thanks.

Sherif 02-25-2009 08:29 AM

Hi
Planning a family cruise next July; we are a family of 4: 55+41+19+18 years old, will have a minisuite that will accommodate all of us; after scanning many posts and reading some books we made up our mind to have the southbound cruise depart Anchorage to Vancouver.
We have three cruise lines availabe:
1] Radisson; 7 seas Mariner,
2] RC, Radiance of the seas, and
3] Celebbrity's Millennium.
We will glade if somebody could recommed us which ship we will have, all tips and advcice are highly apprechiated; as this will be our first and last cruise as a family to Alaska; and we would like to sort it very well
Thanks.

Berick1234 02-25-2009 01:35 PM

Hi to You,

I think the Royal Caribbean would be a better fit for the two teens....RCL does a great job and I'm sure you will enjoy her....I've been to Alaska 3 times and will go for a fourth...Of all of my 21 cruises, Alaska is at the top of the list...I prefer going in May, but that's just me...At that time of the year, Alaska looks like Minnesota with Mountains...Happy Cruising...make sure you do the White Pass Railroad in Skagway....

Bob E

Berick1234 02-25-2009 01:40 PM

One more suggestion...

I wouldn't rule out NCL's Pearl....

I've been on her twice and she is a great ship...

Bob E

sunset68 02-25-2009 03:45 PM

Bob E:
I am glad to hear that. I will be on NCL pearl this coming May. I do have a question regarding the Victoria port of call. The ship gets there at 6:00 pm and leave at midnight. I checked on the internet and found out all of the gardens, parks are closed by that time in May. I was wondering if there is anything to see at night. I cannot go too far since I am with my kids and they are only two and five.
Any suggestions?

Sherif 02-25-2009 11:33 PM

Many Thanks to you Bob for your advice; NCL donít have a southbound cruise at that time, we will be on the
Royal Caribbean; so, I would be grateful if you advice us, about the optimum and cost/effective booking way; via the RC website or travel agent such as travelocity or vacation to go ??
Thanks again.

Berick1234 02-26-2009 08:27 AM

Whenever I cruise, I use a Travel Agent...they can plan a total cruise package...Cruise, transfers, etc. And you have someone to come back to if something doesn't work out...Cruise insurance is a must for me too. RCL is a very good cruiseline, so I'm sure you will have a great time...I'm sure you will get more information from some of the of the others on Cruise-Chat...Happy Sailing...

Bob E

Nat 03-14-2009 06:46 AM

We are also first timers (twins age 15) what is the best place to start yur cruise? They leave from so many ports? We are trying to see as much as possible (July 09). We are looking at Princess? Main sites to see, ect.

Sandy 03-14-2009 06:57 AM

Nat, Alaska cruises sail three different itineraries: a round trip from Vancouver or Seattle, a northbound cruise from Vancouver to the Anchorage area, or a southbound cruise from the Anchorage area to Vancouver.

The northbound and southbound cruises are great for those also doing an inland tour to places like Denali Park and Mt. McKinley, either before or after their cruise. The round trip cruises are great for folks not doing an inland tour.

Most cruises will stop at some combination of Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and/or Sitka, and will sail past glaciers. Any or all of those stops are terrific with lots to recommend them.

Sandy

Nat 03-14-2009 11:17 AM

Sandy, Thanks so much! We are looking at the Pearl NCL (inside passage) and the Diamond Princess which does the south and northbound. What is the main difference in the passages? Would we see more doing the north/south bound or the inside passages?