Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 AM

The only bus/train excursion I could find from the NCL Pearl also included panning for gold which I'm not interested in. Does anyone know if there is one I'm over looking?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 AM

We are going on Celebritythis time. They had a White pass Railway and historic city highlights tour which just brings the bus one way and stops at a few areas on the way up or down, whichever, and then does a quick ride through the town . There is also a movie? presentation at end that takes from ice age to present. You do not have to do that if you want to just shop. That ran about $145, the train is $118 round trip. I checked the white pass site, and they are about $5-8 less if booked through them directly. It may not really matter unless really on a time crunch whether you book yourself or through ship. If booked through the ship they will get you back to the ship, if you book yourself, you will probably have to go back to ship yourself. If I remember correctly, that was not very far, maybe 2 blocks or so, but it was ten years ago that we were in Alaska. Have fun on your trip, it is beautiful country!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 AM
The train comes right to the pier. Leemike is right, there is only and $8.00 difference if you book it through the train's website. We booked it through Celebrity because it would be easier to get it refunded if it is cancelled for any reason.

Need some cruise help?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Administrator

The thing with the train is that you don't have to worry about missing the ship since everyone is on the same train, no matter where you bought your tickets. There is a convenience factor with the rail spur going to the pier, but I enjoyed the train station ambience as we waited at the station for the train to load up on the pier and then come pick us up. When you have several people in your group, an $8 difference adds up. I'll walk the 1/4 mile to save $24 for the three of us.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Wowwie Zowie - - when we did the round trip train ride in 2000, it was only $90 booked through the cruise line . . it's amazing what 10 years can do ..... however, that said - it's a great excursion. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Closed Thread

Tags
back, bus, carnival, city, highlights, historic, liarsville, pass, railroad, railway, restroom, restrooms, review, reviews, scenic, train, white