Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 09:12 AM
I am having to change my cruise plans from June 2010 to the last week of August 2010. I was just wondering what to expect of the weather and wildlife that time of year. Is there still a lot of daylight that time of year?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:32 PM

I think you've lucked out. I've done an Alaskan cruise twice - once in early July and once in mid August. August was by far the best as far as wildlife was concerned. We saw one set of 4 dolphins that swam alongside the ship for a while, a lot of whales -- mainly we just saw their spouting and the odd tail. The salmon will be so thick in Ketchikan that you'll think you could walk across the river on their backs. In Juneau we saw a mother bear feeding her twin cubs salmon, right off the path at the Mendenhall Glacier. There's still lots of daylight -- although I can't be specific about the hours.

The weather was similar both times I think. Sometimes shirtsleeve weather and other times light jackets and the odd bit of rain.

Judy
Old 08-28-2009, 03:30 PM

One year I went the week of August 10-17 and the weather was fabulous, in the 70's not a drop of rain. Pack something long sleeved though just in case. You need something a little warmer by the glaciers anyway.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM
I would prefer August to June given a choice.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:50 AM
Well that makes me feel better. Thanks everyone I knew I could count on you guys.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 AM

Next year I plan on doing an Alaska cruise. It appears that August is the better time. However, I need some information on cruise lines and which cruise really offeres what. Traveling with husband teanageer and an adult son.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:50 AM

CandoAnn,
I would really recommend you speak with a cruise oriented Travel Agent on an Alaskan cruise. There are many different itineraries and ways to sail Alaska. Also, if you want to add a pre or post land package it can get complicated. All the major cruise lines sail Alaska. They each have pros and cons and a TA can help you sort everything out based on your expectations, needs and wants.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM

Thanks, i was hoping to get some feed back from your experience or others. I don Carribean, Mexico, Panama, but, really feel out of my element here. Guess I'll narrow it down a bit more.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 AM

I definitely say layers are the way to go!! We went to Alaska last year, but we went in May. We had all different kinds of weather. It ranged from cold and rainy to sunny and HOT!! Our day in Juneau we were bundled up for a day of whale watching and it turned out that we were all so hot in our jackets and sweaters. The locals were even telling us how unusual it was to be that warm at that time of year. I mainly wore jeans with a long sleeve shirt and then a pullover or sweater type jacket on top. Then if it was really cold I would put my regular jacket on top of that.

We went from Seward to Vancouver also. Will you be taking the train from Anchorage to Seward? I LOVED Alaska!!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Orton39:
I definitely say layers are the way to go!! We went to Alaska last year, but we went in May. We had all different kinds of weather. It ranged from cold and rainy to sunny and HOT!! Our day in Juneau we were bundled up for a day of whale watching and it turned out that we were all so hot in our jackets and sweaters. The locals were even telling us how unusual it was to be that warm at that time of year. I mainly wore jeans with a long sleeve shirt and then a pullover or sweater type jacket on top. Then if it was really cold I would put my regular jacket on top of that.

We went from Seward to Vancouver also. Will you be taking the train from Anchorage to Seward? I LOVED Alaska!!
Orton39 which whale watching tour did you take and how did you like it?

Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
ak, alaska, alaskan, august, cruise, daylight, expect, last, late, rain, reviews, sept, seward, weather, week, weeks