Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 PM

Hi, first time on an Alaskan cruise on the Celebrity infinity -ports include Skagway & Juno. What type of clothing should I pack for a late May trip- is it more activewear, jeans and sweaters, or dressier? What is the range in temps? Any advice would help.
Thanks!
Anne
Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat!

Alaska weather varies so much that you need to be prepared for everything. From May through September it can be anywhere from the 50's to 80's (yes, I said 80's), and rain or sun, often in the same day, or even in an afternoon. The southern part of Alaska - where Skagway and Juneau are located - is actually a rain forest region, which is amazing to some people since this is associated with tropical places.

So...you need to look at bringing clothes that can be layered. Nothing individually heavy like snow jackets, but things that you can put on and remove as needed. It is not unreasonable to bring short sleeved shirts, but have a windbreaker and sweater on top that you can peel off if the temperature cooperates. I wouldn't dwell on dressy clothing. Alaska is a blue jeans and flannel place. On the ship you will find things pretty much the same. It is mostly a casual cruise although having a nice dress or suit for the formal evenings is suggested.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Welcome to cruise-chat Annie. I just looked at the pictures from our Alaskan cruise two years ago. We were in Skagway on May 22nd, so that will give you an idea of the time frame.

Our outerwear ranged from winter coats, ear muffs, etc. in Glacier Bay, to just long sleeved shirts and/or lightweight jackets in the ports. I bought a flannel lined jacket in Skagway and wore that when it was cooler. We were fortunate to have very warm weather but like Dave said, temperatures vary a lot.

If you don't want to take a winter coat, at least take gloves and ear muffs as it is cold near the glaciers. I also brought long johns and they came in handy. My husband is very warm blooded, but our pictures from College Fjord and Glacier Bay show him in his winter coat, gloves, etc., too. He is a camera nut, though, and spent long periods of time on the balcony.

We are leaving in three weeks for our second Alaskan cruise. We can't wait! It's a beautiful place to visit.

Nadine
Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Being from Minnesota, we bring shorts and t-shirts....Not really:-)....bring jackets for sure, and raingear....The layered casual look is in...jeans, sweathers...etc....Easier to take off than put on extra clothing....Happy Cruising...

Bob E
Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Well to add confusion to the mix. We did the cruise starting May 27th. Had a great time, never wore a jacket or long sleeve. We might have been lucky.
Also you say May, if it is early May, I would plan for the worse.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 PM
I've done early May, Early June and Late September.....May was jean, jacket and rain gear weather most of the time, June was jean, jacket, rain gear and gear shorts most of the time...and September was jean, jacket and rain gear weather again...But it can change on a dime...so just be prepared...Going again next early May...I like Alaska with all the snow, so early May is my pick.....Have a Great cruise...

Bob E
Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Don't pack a heavy coat...we were there the first week in August & they must have been having a heat wave. We were poolside one day in swimsuits & it's funny to see a snow covered moutain while you are laying there in the sun's heat. They have really nice coats for sale in the ports starting at 19.99 & up. Made me wish that I hadn't brought one. If there would have been room in the luggage I would have bought one.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM

This show something about the weather. these images were taken two years apart. First two Early July 2009 the next two late June 2007 late June 2007, so more or less the same time of year just different year. You have to be prepared!!

Tags
alaska, alaskan, august, blue, bring, clothes, clothing, cruise, infinity, jeans, late, needed, pack, pictures, skagway, type