Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2004, 03:43 PM

We're booked on RC Radiance to Alaska in May 05'. Can you offer your opinion to the best excursions, what not to miss, for the following itinerary?

Juneau -

Skagway -

Ketchikan -

Thanks again for your help!!

Zeyda
Tampa, FL
Old 11-30-2004, 03:43 PM

We're booked on RC Radiance to Alaska in May 05'. Can you offer your opinion to the best excursions, what not to miss, for the following itinerary?

Juneau -

Skagway -

Ketchikan -

Thanks again for your help!!

Zeyda
Tampa, FL
Old 12-01-2004, 11:45 AM

You probably should check the port reviews on the sister site to this one first. There are a lot of great things to do in all those ports! Juneau has the Mendenhall Glacier a little ways out of town, which you can walk right up to, and it also has the Mt Roberts Tramway. Skagway offers the White Pass & Yukon RR but also has some fun historical tours in town. Ketchikan has a very walkable downtown area with historic Creek St. (built on a boardwalk over the water). In Juneau and Ketchikan there are also fishing and kayaking adventures, and hiking or river rafting near Skagway. It all depends on your interests.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:23 AM
The train trip in Skagway was great - if you have the choice between a morning trip and an afternoon trip - go later. When we were there in September 2000, the early trekkers had fog, mist and snow. By the time we went at 1:00, the weather was beautiful, the sky was clear, and we saw lots of wildlife along the way. The later departure also allowed us to take our time getting up and out and to avoid everyone else trying to get off first thing in the morning.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:27 PM

Thank you both. That's the kind of information that I need and when someone has traveled to the area, it's the best source of information to help us decide.

Thanks again!!!

Zeyda, Tampa, FL
Old 12-07-2004, 02:46 PM

Hi Zeyda,
I have done Alaska twice with Princess. But, I am sure that the tours are similar.
Juneau the Mt. Robert Tram ride is excellent for picture taking, weather permitting.
I have done both land tours of Mendenhall Glacier & the salmon hatchery and the helicopter/glacier tour. I highly recommend the helicopter. It was awesome. Be sure to visit the Red Dog Saloon.
Ketchikan I did the Misty Fjord Seaplane ride. Excellent. Lots of shopping right near the pier area.
Skagway the train ride is #1. White Rail Pass. Be sure to bring plenty of film!!!
Save some time to walk downtown. It is lovely.

ENJOY!!

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Closed Thread