Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 04:44 PM

We're planning on taking an Alaska cruise. I need advice. What is your favorite itinerary? We like Royal because of what it has to offer our boys (in their early 20s), but I wasn't impressed with their food, but I understand that Princess and Celebrity have an older crowd. I will sacrifice the food for keeping the guys entertained, but it's really important to have a great itinerary.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:44 PM

We're planning on taking an Alaska cruise. I need advice. What is your favorite itinerary? We like Royal because of what it has to offer our boys (in their early 20s), but I wasn't impressed with their food, but I understand that Princess and Celebrity have an older crowd. I will sacrifice the food for keeping the guys entertained, but it's really important to have a great itinerary.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:37 PM

I have done Alaska twice with Princess.
I enjoyed the Glacier Bay cruise far better. I left from Vancouver & flew home from Anchorage.
This July I went from Seattle & did Tracey Arm.
Both call on Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. But, in my humble opinion Glacier Bay is the ultimate.
Good Luck

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 11-26-2004, 04:52 AM

What is the difference between Glacier Bay and Royal's "Inside Passage"?
Old 11-26-2004, 05:55 AM

Hi ZC,

those are two different locations / areas. It's a bit like asking what the difference between Los Angeles and New York is.

But seriously, here's a little information (with links for further info) on both:

Inside Passage
Glacier Bay

Raoul Fiebig

Old 11-26-2004, 03:00 PM

Thank you, that is very helpful.

But, if you were told that you would never have a chance to return to this area ever again, which one of the two would you prefer to see?

Thanks, ZC
Old 11-27-2004, 04:52 AM

ZC,

it's difficult to compare the two - but personally, I guess Glacier Bay would be widely considered the place not to miss.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 11-28-2004, 04:34 PM

Actually, you can do both. There are three basic itineraries for Alaska. Northbound Seattle or Vancouver to Seward, Southbound, Seward to Vancouver or Seattle and Inside Passage, Seattle to Seattle or Vancouver to Vancouver.

The inside passage itinerary usually includes Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway and a day cruising either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. Both are awesome.

Between northbound or southbound, I would always pick southbound simply because being dropped off in Seward after a cruise is anti climatic. But, flying into Anchorage, spending some time and then transferring to Seward to board the cruise is very exciting. Ending in Vancouver means a shorter flight home, better air service and more to do.

If you do an inside passage, either glacier experience is wonderful, so I would pick the ship instead.

If you have boys in their early 20s, I would strongly suggest Royal Caribbean or possibly the Norwegian Star.

Have a great cruise!

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, alaska, forum, inside, itinerary, passage, princess