Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Hi Everyone, Considering Diamond Princess mid July. Question from my boys: are pools open? Or is it too cold to swim? And what would weather be like. Leaves Vancouver heads to Anchorage. We would spend a few extra days in Anchorage as well. Any good day trips suggested for Anchorage. We will rent SUV.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Alaska weather is quite fickle. There is no way to predict whether it will be too cold to swim in the outdoor pools. It can be in the 70's one day and in the 50's the next day - or sometimes even in the same day. However the Calypso pool has a magrodome roof so they can close it and make it an indoor pool. I believe this is normally an adults area but in Alaska I've seen cruise ships allow children to use the adult pools if it is too cool outside.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Yes, the pools will be open; maybe not every pool every day, but the Calypso Pool has a moveable dome and is quite comfortable for swimming, even in the worst weather.

There is just no way of predicting the weather. Usually there are some drizzly days and some beautiful days. But July probably has the best chance for good weather.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:04 PM

We were on a cruise in Alaska in mid June and it was too cold for the outdoor pools. Friends of ours went in May and like to have burned up. You just never know. I believe there are some train trips out of Anchorage to Whittier that are day trips. You can also drive to Girdwood about 30 miles out of Anchorage. Lots to see and do in Anchorage itself.

Mark
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas 2009
Carnival Freedom 2010
Old 04-11-2010, 06:17 PM

This was taken June 22 of 2007 about 1pm, weather varies. Notice kids swimming, and adults in jackets. This was taken in the Tracy's Arm area.
Last year I was on deck At Midnight July3/4th in Juneau. I was wearing a tank top and short. In 2008 we were in Jackets most of the trip.

This was taken on the HAL Zaandam.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Administrator

On our June 2008 Alaska cruise it was in the 50's and there were kids in the outdoor pools. They'd sit in the hot tubs for a while and then jump in the cold water. I opted for the Solarium pool a couple of times. They opened it up every afternoon for kids for a couple hours.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Thanks everyone for all the information. This is a hard decision for me. I am not a cold weather fan. So even though my husband and my teenage boys want to venture to Alaska (gosh, they have been everywhere else), I would like to oblige them but I really do enjoy lazing by the pool in Caribbean or Mediterranean sunshine. It will be a tug of war I do believe to see who wins this summer. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Alaska and the Med and Caribbean are certainly very different cruise experiences. But even if you lose the tug-of-war I assure you that you'll have a marvelous time. First, a ship is still a ship--no matter where it is; and seeing Alaska is such a magnificent experience I doubt if you'll even miss your poolside lazing :-)
Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Hey if they have been everywhere else... Alaska is a must.. It is the only place left.
Sounds like you will have fun no matter which way you go.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, canada, cancun, cold, covered, cruise, diamond, july, kids, march, pool, pools, princess, ship, swim, weather