Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 PM

I am planning a cruisetour to Alaska, southbound.
I was looking at the cost of a 4 day land tour before. It looks like it about doubles the cost of the cruise not to mention the airfare.
I was wondering if it is cheaper to just do the cruise and book the land part on my own? The one I was looking at 2009 prices is over $7000 for two/balcony cabin on Princess. That seems high. I have done the Seattle round trip in 08 and it was less than half that. I think that by the time you pay for excursions,gifts,airfare and onboard drinks and stuff you are well over $11,000. Too much for a 11 day trip.
Has any body done it as a cruise with land stays on your own and was it worth the trouble of planning it yourself.

Thanks
EB

url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM

Comparing your round trip Seattle to the Princess Cruisetour isn't an accurate comparison. There are a lot of variables to consider. First, are they even on the same cruise line? Even on the same cruise line different classes of ship, age of ship, popularity of itinerary, date of travel, how far in advance booking, and type cabin all can be factors.
I highly recommend you talk with a cruise oriented travel agent about your Alaska cruisetour. Princess has many different combinations of cruisetours. Price can differ by the type of transportation used (bus, or rail), types of accommodations, and the number of nights at each destination. ie: 2nt-Denali, 1nt Fairbanks,1nt Anchorage, could be cheaper than 2nt Fairbank, 2nt Denali. etc. A travel agent can sort it all out for you.

Having everything booked as a complete package will be less stressful and a time saver.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I will be using my TA but I was needing some input from people who had done this cruise.
I was on Princess last year on The Star in a balcony BA room. I am looking at the same type ship, the Saphire I think and a cabin on the same deck and in the same area on the ship.
I think this will give me a good comparison to start from.
It just seems like $1000 plus a day for two is high. Is this what others have paid. I am looking at the 4 day land 7 day cruise at the end of July. I know July is higher but not that much.
I am just fishing for ideas before I go to my TA.
Thanks
EB

Old 04-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Reservations for Princess 2010 cruisetours open on May 7th. $5,000 per person for a 7nt cruise in a balcony cabin, 4nts on land, roundtrip air, and taxes during peak time, would be about right. Remember you have 7 days of all your meals on the cruise, all your ground transfers from airport to pier/pier to train/train to hotels/hotel back to airport. Plus the train, 4nts hotels in nice lodges in good locations. The land tour also includes a couple extra land excursions. Air is higher doing a cruise/tour going into one airport and out of another versus roundtrip Seattle. Alaska is a high demand destination with a short season.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM

That sounds better than what I was coming up with. I was looking at 09 sailings to get an est. The number I was getting was over $7000.
I did not log in when I checked it so it would have been a little higher. Also the 2010 prices may be less??
Thanks
EB

Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 AM

It's a good approximate rough estimate. Prices will be higher or lower depending which balcony category you choose and which cruisetour number you choose. Don't rule out a mini suite option. The lowest mini suite could possible have a better price than the highest balcony. There could be some upgrade offers. When the bookings open on May 7th there could be good early booking offers. Ask your travel agent about group offers. (It doesn't mean your actually with a particular group). You will want to add travel insurance. Which on a trip this expensive will seem pricey when quoted. Remember though, you want to protect your investment.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruisetours, fairbanks, hotels, princess