Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 PM

We are booking our hotel soon. Any suggestions on places to see or dinner? We arrive at Noon the day before departure and we plan to stay the nigt when we return.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator

A friend of mine happens to live in Vancouver. He is quite a character and accomplished man. I don't know if this info is accurate but this is what he wrote to me 3 years ago when I was planning to come up (I had to cancel the trip):

For informal lunch or breakfast, you could do worse than eating at the corner of Pender & Thurlow Streets. Turn left when you come out of the front of the hotel, turn right at the first corner (Thurlow), and the next cross street is Pender. On three of the corners are delis/cafes. For a full service restaurant which has a Canadian flavour and is informal, try Earls on Top near the corner of Robson and Bute (Bute is the other cross street for your
hotel). The restaurant is above London Drugs (London Drugs has a great little computer area). Slightly more formal, very touristy but good seafood, try Joe Fortes near Thurlow & Robson. We like Italian: Don Francesco's on Burrard is great. Zefferelli's upstairs on the south side of Robson street between Thurlow & Bute streets is fun and informal; Cin Cin pronounced "Chin Chin") is nearby - very good but somewhat expensive - a good place to see movie stars - if you care. One of the best fish places is the Cannery, but it's a long taxi ride to get there - on a wharf on the east side of Vancouver. For French, you can't beat Le Crocodile, just off Burrard Street. Chinatown doesn't necessarily have the best Chinese food. For something close by, there's a Chinese restaurant in the Marine Building (art deco 1930's high rise building at Hastings and Burrard streets - forget what the restaurant's called), just a block and a half from your hotel (turn left when you come out the front of your hotel).

The "your hotel" he refers to is the Renaissance which is where I was planning to stay. There are no hotels near the Ballantyne piers according to my friend, or at least none you'd want to stay at.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 AM

This is the best information so far Dave, thanks again!

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, bc, cruise, cruises, drugs, forum, leaving, london, powered, review, reviews, robson, thurlow, vancouver, vbulletin