Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 06:51 PM

We are taking a family trip to Alaska on the NCL Sun this summer. Please advise on any tips for family fun shore excursions that would not cost too much for a family of 5. The children are 15,12,10. . Should we book through the cruise line?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:48 PM

I would do your own thing. Alaska is wonderful and your keids will have a great time no matter what they do.

Tom
Old 03-30-2006, 09:07 AM

In Skagway I would suggest a hike to Lower Dewey Lake on your own. You can also purchase tickets on your own at the train station in the center of town for the White Pass & Yukon RR.

In Juneau take the Mt. Roberts Tramway for some great views. You can also catch the local bus along the main strip in front of the port which will take you to the entrance of the national park and visitors center. From there you can take numerous trail hikes around Mendenahll Glacier, the Lake and Nugget Falls that are pretty spectacular.

In Ketchikan you can do salmon fishing right from the bridge over Creek Street (there is a small shop next to the bridge that rents fishing equipment for a nominal fee).

Although it is costly for a family of 5, if at all possible either take a helicopter/glacier hike tour in Juneau or do a flightseeing excursion of Misty Fjords National Park in Ketchikan.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-03-2006, 09:13 AM

Nancy- Thanks for the great info... quick question for you.. it looks like (except for the helicopter tour) that all of you suggestions are "on your own thing". Is that true? Ever do any of the "gold panning" tours? I thought my kids might enjoy that, but if my experience holds true, you can do that cheaper "on your own" also, unless it requires a long or chartered bus-ride to get to the place.

Jim
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-03-2006, 10:44 AM

Hi Jim,
Yes, the suggestions I made were for "on your own" activities. While I have not done this myself, there will be booths set-up at the port and in town (in Juneau and Skagway for sure) that offer "gold panning excursions".

I forgot to mention that in Ketchikan - the children might also enjoy going to the Saxman Totem Pole state park.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, alasksan, cruise, excursions, family, kids, left, myseld, port, ports, recommendations, recommended, reviews, shore