Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 02:04 PM

cruizinallthetime, you can do it either way. You can do the train up and back or bus it on one leg. I'm not sure the price is any different, but with the bus, you take the risk of the bus being late (granted its a small risk) But in May there will still be lots of snow up there and you may have bus issues.

You can also take the train up to the pass and get off and have lunch/dinner and then come back.

So as you can see, there are several options involved with the WPR.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Jim - Thanks for the information. We will probably take the train back. I am so excited to hear there will be snow. YEA! I live in Southwest Georgia and we NEVER see snow.
Thanks again.

Read and post cruise reviews

St. Maarten Hotels & Resorts

2003 Carnival Victory - Western
2004 Carnival Celebration
2005 Carnival Glory - Western
2006 Carnival Glory - Eastern
2007 Carnival Liberty - Western
2008 Star Princess - Alaska
Old 10-31-2007, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Are you all talking about doing the train and/or bus independently or through a ship's excursion?

I'm looking at HAL's excursion options for my summer 2008 cruise and there are a variety of choices--round trip train (where you don't get off), WPR and goldcamp (train up, bus down), and an 8-hour Yukon trip (bus up, train down). At this point, we're leaning toward the Yukon excursion and will do it through the cruise line due to its length. But, as we will be the only ship in Skagway, I'm wondering about doing a WPR trip on our own. (Or at least conveying this information to our traveling companions who don't want an all-day excursion.)
Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 AM

Lisa ,
Check out this
Also in Skagway right by the train station is a National Park center. They have a very good film on Skagway.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:16 PM
We took the train ride in May...they had to take the snowblower up to the summit before we could take the train...8 feet of snow at the top...so you will SEE ALL THE SNOW YOU WANT...Being from Minnesota snow isn't something I usually go to see, but it was wonderful on the mountain top:-)....Have a great time....

Bob E
Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kwtraveler:
My wife and our two teenagers just went to Alaska on Serenade of the Seas this past June. At Skagway we did a little shopping in the morning and then we took the 12 o'clock train ride and it was excellent. We rode the train up and took a bus back down to Lairsville where we drank hot cider, had cookies, watched a comedy show and panned for gold. The gold panning wasn't what we thought it would be, but overall we enjoyed the excursion. The ride back is the same route so you might get a little bored if you take it back too. On the way up, sit on left side of the train so you can get the best views and make sure to go outside on the rails between the trains. I don't know your itinerary, but we went to Hubbard Glaciers, which was beautiful, then Sitka, which was small and not much to see, then Skagway, and our last port was Juneau. Take the tram to Mount Roberts and also go see the glaciers there if you have time. We didn't pay to go whale wathcing because we had a balcony cabin and saw a lot of whales and seals from the ship. Have fun.
kwtraveler~could you please PM me? I would love to talk to you more. We are booked for Serenade of the Seas in June 2008 and would love to get more info from you on your cruise. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks! Pam
Old 01-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Also in Skagway, you can walk out to the Old cemetery and get in touch withsome of the history there...bring a warm jacket:-)...in May you may need it up there....Gloves too....

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
bus, carnival, cruise, kids, lines, princess, rail, review, reviews, sitka, skagway, skagwayrail, summit, tour, train, yukon