Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Hello,
I am hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction...looking to book a big family cruise tour next summer and am trying to find the best line to do this through. We have been on Holland twice and Princess once. Princess Caribbean was a enormous ship, but elegant and beautiful; Holland had a friendlier staff...I haven't been on any other lines, but i think that Carnival may be too partyish. I am open for suggestions. I would like a nice, beautiful ship, and great accomodations on the train/bus/whatever the mode of transportation is for the trip to the interior. I will likely be getting balcony rooms, maybe mini suites depending upon the price. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Hello,
I am hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction...looking to book a big family cruise tour next summer and am trying to find the best line to do this through. We have been on Holland twice and Princess once. Princess Caribbean was a enormous ship, but elegant and beautiful; Holland had a friendlier staff...I haven't been on any other lines, but i think that Carnival may be too partyish. I am open for suggestions. I would like a nice, beautiful ship, and great accomodations on the train/bus/whatever the mode of transportation is for the trip to the interior. I will likely be getting balcony rooms, maybe mini suites depending upon the price. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:06 PM

Lucy07,
Welcome to cruise chat. Princess and HAL are excellent choices for the Alaska Cruise/tour. They have been doing Alaska longer than any of the other cruise lines. I must say though that any of the cruise lines sailing Alaska do a good job. Including Carnival. The party image of Carnival is an antiquated image they have been shedding for years.
Alaska Cruise tours can be very complicated and have many different combinations. I would highly recommend you find a cruise oriented travel agent and sit down and discuss what you are looking for in your Alaska vacation. They can help you sort out all the numerous combinations of the cruise tour.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 AM
I've been to Alaska twice before on NCL and had a great time....I'm trying Carnival to Alaska this time....got a great price...and as for a party ship....I don't think this happens in Alaska...big different from the Caribbean cruises....Bring warm clothes:-)...Happy sailing...

Bob E
Old 09-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Another quick question...is food included during the land portion of these tours? Is whatever the answer is pretty uniform throughout the industry or is it advantageous to call each line to see what their policy is?

Thanks, getting closer to booking every day. Is it better to book now through the line, or go with one of the internet sites and try for a better deal?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

quote:
is food included during the land portion of these tours?

It depends on the cruise line, but I believe the land portion doesn't include meals with HAL. I've read where meal plans are offered for a set price in many cases. I've not done a cruise-tour so I am just relating what I've heard about. I was just looking at the Princess site and it appears meals are included on at least some of their cruisetours.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Lucy, on our Princess cruisetour in May, no meals were included on the land portion of the tour.

We ate at a little pizza place in Talkeetna that had excellent pizza. The Princess Lodges have very good dining rooms. The food served on the train was good and not as expensive as we had feared.

I'm excited for you to be planning a trip to Alaska. It was a vacation we will never forget!

Nadine
Old 09-05-2008, 05:47 PM

Lucy,

We took the Princess Cruise in July 2007 and it was the best cruise we have ever been on.
1) We went to the glacier bay and that was breathtaking.
2) The open dinner seating with the same food as in the dinning room made our dinners more enjoyable and not on such a time table. The food was absolutely wonderful.
We were so sold on Princess that we are going to Europe and the Med this fall on the Princess Cruise Line.
Alaska is probably one place that will always be on the top of our list. The only words that I can think of to describe it is we were in Awe.
Have a great time and if you have any questions please be sure to ask.
I have found this site to be a great help for us in planning our Europe trip.
Carnival Holiday - Dec 2007
Princess Grand - Oct 2008

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
alaskan, caribbean, cruise, cruises, cruisetour, cruisetours, food, hal, included, line, portion, post, princess, reviews, summer, tour, tours