Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 08:18 AM

I have looked at the shore excursions for Sitka. And nothing seems interesting to me. We are in port for 10 hours. Any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51 AM

We did a walk through the Tongass Rain Forest that was really fun. We saw all different types of birds, learned about different plants like ferns, etc. When we made our way to the shoreline we were picking up starfish and different shellfish and learning about them. It was an interesting journey. I think it was in Sitka that my mom did totem park which she said she enjoyed as well. Dont know about much else. If you have questions about any other ports, feel free to ask.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the information about the Rainforest walk. It sounds interesting. Did you walk from the pier or did you take a taxi?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:23 PM

You will sign up on the ship as it is an excursion you have to pay for. They will meet you on the dock after you have tendered in from the ship and then you go from there. You are taken out in a van. Another excursion that was fun was the salmon hatchery. They excursion boat picked us up right at the ship and took us by boat to the hatchery. They make some stops and do some sight-seeing on the way out.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Do you have to sign up in advance for these trips/excursions or can you jump aboard at the last minute?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:21 PM

Really better to sign up when you get on the ship for the excursions because you never know if they sell out or not. Some things have a limited amount of people that they can take. There may be a place to purchase tickets in the port as well though. Check your excursion book and if it says limited then I would sign up on the ship, if there is no limit Im sure you could do it when you get in port. The only thing is if you book through the ship, and your tour ends up running late, the ship will not leave without you. Otherwise, if you are late and you have not booked through the ship, you may have to fly yourself to the next port. Better safe than sorry I say.

Closed Thread

Tags
book, cruise, customer, excursion, excursions, free, minute, park, review, reviews, shore, sitka, terminal, totem, walk