Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Prior to taking a cruise last July I read the above book so as to become more informed about this great place. I also am a Michener fan and have read many other books that he has written.

Even though this book is fiction, I felt that it was a wonderful introduction to what Alaska is now, and how it got that way.

Has anyone else read this book and found it to be as useful as I did?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

I haven't, so I thank you for the recommendation and reminder! We're making our first cruise to Alaska this coming summer.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 PM

I was just starting out working at the Red Dog Saloon the summer Michner came on his cruise in Alaska as a part of the promo tour for the book. (He didn't even get off the ship in the State Capital, but that's irrelevant.) I remember reading the (autographed) copy his agent left for my family, and it struck all of us - from a local's point of view - as a very relevant and accurate portrayal of life in Alaska... at that time.

Since the book's release - it's been over 15 years now - a great deal has changed here. This is a completely different political, economic, social and environmental climate here right now. There are still quite a few places you can go to see Alaska as Michner portrayed, but they're getting harder and harder to find every year.

-Case
Old 01-26-2008, 09:54 AM

AFTER our first trip to Alaska, and to Skagway in particular, we found ourselves reading some of Jack London's books. In particular, Tales of the Yukon.

For anyone heading there, that's also a good read to do before.

Sandy
Old 01-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Yes. I read "Alaska" before my cruise last year. I loved it so much that I read it again when I got home. It did add a lot to the enjoyment of the cruise. I have read most of his books and really enjoyed them. In the fall I was on the Grand Princess and the itinery included Chesapeake Bay - I have just reread "Cheaspeake" as well.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, back, book, copyright, date, epub, forum, james, michener, micheners, mitchener, read, review, reviews, yahoo