Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Alaska Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/)
-   -   Alaska cruise & fishin ! (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/9517-alaska-cruise-fishin.html)

David 11-11-2002 06:16 PM

Help, I have couples of questions. I am planning to take Alaska cruise in July. I would like to take day trip to do some fishing in Alaska. Does anyone ever tried or is it even available? Should I take Northern bound or Southern Bound cruises or doesnít matter? I welcome all comments and suggestions

David 11-11-2002 06:16 PM

Help, I have couples of questions. I am planning to take Alaska cruise in July. I would like to take day trip to do some fishing in Alaska. Does anyone ever tried or is it even available? Should I take Northern bound or Southern Bound cruises or doesnít matter? I welcome all comments and suggestions

Sue 11-12-2002 05:19 AM

My suggestion would be a southbound cruise, which is a bit more expensive than a northbound, due to the scenery being on your left (Portside). If you can afford it, I would also suggest doing a balcony stateroom, where you can just sit out and watch the Glaciers go by. Princess' fleet in Alaska has a good portion of balconies, and that's what we did last year, Sun Princess. As far as fishing is concerned, yes they do have fishing shore excursions, but at least on Princess, you can't bring your catch back on the ship with you. I'm told that you can have your catch packed or canned to be sent home to you, but I'm not really sure on that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

PEB 11-12-2002 07:37 AM

I have cruise Alaska multiple times and I will be doing so again in 2003. I have cruised both directions and for me if I am only going one direction I will always sail Northboud unless I am doing a land package.

My reasons are the scenery gets more beautiful as you go north. If you started in the north and went south even though the scenery is beautiful it will get less beautiful as you go south.

Good reasons for going southbound would be if you did a land package firts than can be tiring and the cruise would relax you afterwards. I have always found southbound cheaper in price because it does not fill up the ships as easily as northbound.

As far as seeing glaciers when Princess goes into the fjords to watch glaciers they sit and turn the ship so both sides of the ship have time to view the glaciers if you have a balcony.

As far as fishing yes there is fishing in all the ports but as Sue said if you want to keep the fish it would have to be shipped home when sailing Princess.

Alaska is well worth cruising. I hope you find one you enjoy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

David 11-12-2002 08:14 PM

Ok Sue see if I get this right, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] LOL, if I take northbound I should purchase Starboard cabin and it is cheaper due to scenery is in portside. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . I didnít think about port or starboard side of cabin selections. Questions. What are the choices of accommodations at Alaska if I choose to go southbound? I am sure I need to be in Alaska one or two days ahead of departure date. My wife said she is not going to roughen out at Alaska [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] her version of roughen out is studio room with shower only no bathtub.

Sue 11-12-2002 11:29 PM

Hi David,
Glad you answered, as I disagree in part with the last post. First of all, where are you from, as that might play a factor into my suggestions. There's other advantages of going from North to South, and that's the location of where the ships pull into, a seaport town called Seward, which is 2 1/2 hours South of Anchorage, where you would have to fly home from. Anchorage in 4 hour time difference from the East Coast, and due to the time that it takes to get to the airport, don't plan on a flight out before 2PM (6 PM Eastern time). If you go North to South, you will land in Vancouver or better still, Seattle, both with a 3 hour difference. Takes about 1/2 to 3/4 hour to get to Vancouver airport, and we got our return flight home about noon (3 PM Eastern time). Makes a huge difference when flying home. Did you want to do land in Alaska as well? Let me know on that respect. I believe Princess is starting Seattle round trips to Alaska. Not sure if it's next year or the year after. You won't get up as high in the state. Let me know just where you live, or if there's another way to contact you directly. That might be easier. Regardless of which way to go, I always go a day before, just in case plane cancellations or storms, etc. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

David 11-14-2002 08:11 AM

Sue, I am from Southern California, I will call my travel agent and select the most convenient traveling methods, other than that I want to spend couple of days at British Colombia before heading back to home.

Sue 11-14-2002 09:25 AM

Hi David,
Seeing you're from Southern California, you don't have the time difference to worry about, which is a major factor for us in Florida. If you want to stay in BC, then you would be doing North to South for Alaska. Have a great time, and yell if you have more questions. Make sure you get a travel agent that specializes in cruises, as they can be of tremendous help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

David 01-19-2003 07:22 PM

I just purchased 7 days Coral Princess Alaska cruise July 5th north bound.
http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...n_confused.gifQuestion, where is the best place to go Salmon or Halibut fishing? Available choices are Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway, or College Fjord.

Thanks David

Sue 01-20-2003 11:51 PM

I'm doing the Coral Princess in November. Gorgeous new ship with rave reviews. College Fjord isn't a stop, you sail in it only. Ketchikan has a huge fishing fleet, but due to bad weather, water activities could be cancelled, as they were when we went there in August 2001. Have fun, and let us know what you think of Coral, We can't wait. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...n_rolleyes.gif