Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 06:13 PM

I cant compare to the private ones but the one we booked through the ship was a Mendenhall Glacier and whale-watching trip. Our guide was very informative and we saw a lot of whales. Even watched a humpback playing with some sealions. It was awesome. The boat also had hot drinks and sandwiches for sale onboard. I loved it. Have done the same one twice and would do it a 3rd time if I went back.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:05 PM

Any time you see whales it is a fantastic time. As far as information yes the guides on the ships tours will provide information and they can be very good. Capt Larry has been doing whale watching for over 30 years. He is known all over for his knowledge, pictures and the fact that he is a naturalist. All his crew are naturalists and not just guides. The naturalists from the ships use him for whale watching. Other tours try to follow Capt Larry when they see his boat head to an area because they feel he will find whales. All the tours will contact each other by radio to try to find whales, his boats are faster and can get farther out in a shorter time giving you more time actually watching whales.

Like I said you will have a great time on either type tour if you see whales. I just feel that Capt Larry gives the best experience.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the input. I plan on looking into this Captain Larry character.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, captain, cruise, glacier, junea, juneau, larry, mendenhall, port, reviews, seasick, tour, tours, watching, whale, whales