Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 01:05 PM

I have read the previous discussions about whale watching and now I have a question. We are going on our first Alaskan cruise in May. The one thing I definitely want to do is whale watching.

One cruiser had recommended Captain Larrys. I went to their website and it looks very nice. Another cruiser recommended the Mendenhall Glacier/ Whale Watching excursion that was booked on the ship.

It appears that the boats used by Captain Larrys are much smaller. Would there be an issue with sea sickness? Also, on the tour sponsored by the ship, is there plenty of viewing room on the boat that they use? Or are they overcrowded? So many questions, so little time!

Thank you.

Nadine
Old 02-13-2007, 06:08 PM

We did the glacier and whale watching offered on the ship. It was great BOTH times. We had plenty of room outside or inside the boat. I would book through the ship.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 PM

Thank you Greyson! We do like to book excursions from the ship, so will probably follow your advice. There are so many neat things to see and do on the Alaskan cruise. We are excited about the trip!

Nadine
Old 02-15-2007, 04:50 PM

I have taken whale watches from the ships but now when in Jueau I only use Captain Larry. The one trouble with the ships tours is the boats are big and slower. Most the time you will find whales but you will be at a different level when watching them.

With Captain Larry you are on a high speed boat that was designed specifically for whale watching. You are also with some of the best naturalists there are for watching whales. You will have more room to move around and you will have far better information provided you. You will also be at a level on the water that is fantastic for taking pictures.

The truth is that the majority of the naturalists from the ships go with Captain Larry and not the ship tours. How do I know this because I have run into many of them on the boats with Captain Larry.

I am a fanatic when it comes to whale watching and I have traveled to many places to whale watch and Captain Larry has surpassed every whale watch I have been on. I have seen something new and amazing with Captain Larry on every trip and believe me I have gone with him many times. I sign up for two to three trips with him on every Alaska cruise and I cruise Alaska more then anywhere.

I am not saying you will have a bad time with the ships tour I am saying you will have a much better time and experience with Captain Larry.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:14 PM

Thank you PEB! Looks like I have a decision to make!

Nadine
Old 02-18-2007, 06:18 AM

Captain Larry's tours sound great. I am cruising Alaska in May also and have thought about whale watching, but am a little hesitant. Our family took a whale excursion in Nova Scotia and I was sick and miserable the whole time, even with dramamine. The water was really rough. What was your experience in Alaska?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:18 AM

bizzybee as far as getting motion sickness in Alaska on a whale watch goes, I have never been sick while on either the ship tours or with Captain Larry. When I have gone on whale watches in other areas like Hawaii I have gotten sick a couple times.

Why I don't get sick in Alaska I have no idea, because I get motion sickness easily, but I have not gotten sick there. Even with dramamine I have gotten sick in other areas.

One thing that may have saved me from getting sick in Alaska may be the fact that we have always run into active whale watches so my attention was more on seeing the whales or taking pictures and video of the whales so I just forget about everything else going on. Another thing that I believe helps is that in Alaska the whale tours all provide some type of snack and the reality is that eating a little bit does help prevent motion sickness on the water. The whale watches I got sick on never gave me anything to eat.

All whale watches in Alaska do a good job and they all treat people right. I personally just prefer Captain Larry and feel he does the best job. He is a character but he is very experienced and really knows where and how to find whales.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 AM

I too am looking to book a whale watching tour. Has anyone used Harv and Marv's? If so, please let me know your thoughts. I liked the idea of the smaller group size. There will 4 adults in our party.
This is my first cruise and my first time to Alaska and I want it to be the best I can make it.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Personally, I would rather book my excursions through the ship because if you are on something different, not offered by the ship, and you get stuck somewhere and dont make it back for sailing, its up to you to get to the next port. I wanna feel safe. We booked all our excursions through the ship and I didnt have 1 complaint.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:22 PM

I'm also planning on trying to go on an Alaskan cruise next year, and as far as the whale tours are concerned, is there a difference between the ones you can book from the ship and the others, in terms of an informational tour?

I apologize for the horrible phrasing in that question...

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, captain, cruise, glacier, junea, juneau, larry, mendenhall, port, reviews, seasick, tour, tours, watching, whale, whales