Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2002, 04:21 PM

Hi everyone,
I am a travel agent. I just booked clients on Costa's Atlantica.
Has anyone cruised this ship before.
They have a balcony room.
I was curious about toga night. Does everyone dress up. They don't seem to be very excited about toga night.
Thanks
Christine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 04:21 PM

Hi everyone,
I am a travel agent. I just booked clients on Costa's Atlantica.
Has anyone cruised this ship before.
They have a balcony room.
I was curious about toga night. Does everyone dress up. They don't seem to be very excited about toga night.
Thanks
Christine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 09:11 PM

Christine, it sounds like your clients may not be a "good fit" with Costa. Did they insist on this ship? If they enjoy party-going and letting their hair down, though, they may be ok. I suggest you read some of the cruise reviews on this site about CostaAtlantica; it may be helpful in your counseling them about this cruise choice. I'll let others comment on the ship itself, as I haven't been on Costa, just attended seminars and read reviews of it.
Karen (also an agent) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 05:23 AM

We cruised the Baltic 2 years ago. The food was bland and we are not fussy eaters. My family cruised on the Atlantica over Xmas and found the same thing. Very poor food badly prepared.neviboy
Old 01-27-2003, 09:48 PM

Was on CostaAtalantica in Feb.'02 for my first cruise and was blown away by the beauty of the ship, the food(contrary to so many harsh "gourmands" out there) the friendly staff. And while I had a beautiful inside cabin, friends had a veranda stateroom which was ideal to enjoy breakfast on while anchored at catalina Island waiting for everyone to tender onto shore. And the last night I was invited to sit and enjoy drinks on other friends' veranda - so relaxing to watch the white wake of the ship go by in the dark night. I loved it loved it loved it!!
And a real value too!!
Old 11-03-2003, 01:32 PM

My wife and I cruised the Eastern Caribbean on the Atlantica in January 02.

We chose the ship mainly because of the discounted price and after reading some of the reviews I became a little nervous.

Some of the comments were ridiculous such as the predominance of Italians or the number of different languages used in the announcements.
Yes there are many Italian passengers and crew on board but they are certainly not the majority and were just one of many groups that make this an interesting and eclectic ship.
If there is an emergency on board a ship I would prefer that all on board understand the instructions so the additional few minutes listening to Spanish, German,Italian and French doesn't bother me.

Food was also raised by many. The food is fine. As with most cruise lines there is more than you can eat anyway so you never go hungry.
If you need gourmet there is an alternate restaurant where you pay an extra cover charge. There is also a wide choice of food in the buffet restaurants. The midnite buffets were varied and delicious. They also prepared a delicious lunch on their private island.

The ship is gorgeous and there are lots of places to escape if you want seclusion. The gym is incredible. Our inside cabin was large and well looked after.

I found the evening entertainment to be of lower quality than on the HAL and Carnival cruises we had taken previously. The entertainment staff do work very hard to keep everyone happy.

I was not excited about Toga night. I chose not to wear the toga provided as did about half of the other cruisers. I don't think either groupo felt out of place. On the whole it is a fun night which ends in a hilarious audience participation show in the main showroom.

As I've read elsewhere on these sites every cruise has its ups and downs and if you go with a positive attitude you'll have a lot more highs.

Looking forward to the Grand Princess this January.

Neil
February 2004 - Grand Princess - W. Caribbean
March 2007 - RCI Voyager of the Seas - E. Caribbean
May 2007 - RCI Voyager of the Seas - Western Mediterranean (Mrs. E. & daughter only - I had a medical emergency)
October 2007 - RCI Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Old 11-03-2003, 04:49 PM

You are right to look forward to Grand princess after Costa. We were on Costa Romantica a couple of years ago, and then Grand Princess, it is like night and day. I just felt that bit more effort had gone into everything on Princess, and would probaly classify Princess as 4 star and Costa as 3. We took part in toga night, but really wished we hadn't, we really are fun lovers, but that was too forced for us, so I would recommend ignoring the togas.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:16 AM

I just returned from a cruise on the Costa Mediterranea and thoroughly enjoyed it. Contrary to so many comments, the food was excellent (much better than the fare I had on my last Princess cruise)! I am not sure what toga night entailed in the past, but on our cruise it was nothing more than dressing in togas for dinner and then going to the theater for the guest talent show.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-03-2004, 05:55 AM

The best of all the Costa Ships is definitely the brandnew Costa Fortuna . I sailed it in January and it was a dream-journey.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:29 PM

Sailed the Costa Atlantica Dec 20 2003,the food was great,the service was good,the excursions were good,the entertainment was just terrible!(SHOWS).

Closed Thread