Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Hello...I haven't seen anything in this forum about Nile cruising. I'm booked for November on the Oberoi Philae out of Aswan. Has anyone been on this ship before? Is there a "better side" to request? Any special shore excursions recommended that would not be on the usual itinerary? Thanks very much.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 AM

I did a Nile cruise in 1986 from Aswan to Luxor - it was not, however, on your particular riverboat - the one I sailed has probably gone on to it's final resting place (at least one can only hope). Don't get me wrong. We had a ball - it was just that the boat itself was so old, it could have been in a Poirot TV mystery!

There really is no "better side" as you will be spending the bulk of the time on the observation deck anyway (at least I did) when you are not pulled over to visit some of the antiquities. When I went, there were no "additional shore excursions" so I can't help you there.

Couple of things to consider, however are: 1) allow enough time to visit Abu Simbel before you depart as well as enough time to visit Aswan; 2) IF your cruise ends in Luxor, stay there for a few days to visit the Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens and of course, Luxor and the Temple of Karnac. I stayed at a Sofitel resort on Crocodile Island.

P.S. The local beer (non import) is delicious and the horses that pull the carriages along the corniche love it too!

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, dahabia, forum, nike, nile, oberoi, posting, reviews, river