Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 04:16 PM

Thank you so much for responding to my questions and concerns. I really don't need all of the bells and whistles of the huge liners, but and I know this sounds crazy, how's the food, bathrooms in each cabin,air conditioning,etc...? I hear the staff is wonderful, but I read that some of the walls are kinda wearing thin(the woodwork), and you know the old saying,"You get what you pay for?",I still want to know I'm going to get that "cruiseship" feeling of a bit of luxury. I know i'm sounding worried, but I am!
Cindy
Old 12-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Administrator

In all honesty, the cabins are not luxurious, but they are fine for two nights if expectations are in line. There may still be a degree of cruise ship luxury, but mainly in the dining room and not the cabins.

Bathrooms are small, not at all fancy, yet functional. I had been warned about the small showers, but our shower on Diamond Princess wasn't any larger. There were a few dings in the furniture, although I've seen that on newer ships, too. Beds, however, were very comfortable. And, we had more storage space than needed. We were in U44 on Upper Deck.Definitely go for the higher cabin categories, and try to stay on Upper Deck or above.

We had no AC problems that I recall, and we went during the month of August. Of course, systems may temporarily break down on any ship, including brand new ones.

Food was fabulous when we went. But being an older ship, there are limitations. The buffet area is small, and the seating for it is near the pool. At the time, there was very limited room service, as well -- pretty much finger sandwiches. However, the dining room is amazing. The decor is lovely and there are large windows. And, I'd rate the service about the best of any of our 20+ cruises.

While it won't feel like an average cruise, I agree with Raoul that it is an opportunity to sail on a true ocean liner. Besides, much of the time will be spent in Nassau, so there will be plenty to do ashore.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:21 PM

Lisa-
Thank you so much for the info. I really think I'm getting excited. I'm not certain yet when we'll go, but I can't wait. I wish it was a longer cruise. I'd love about 7 days or more!!
Oh well, I can still dream!
Thanks again for the wonderful and useful advice.!
Cindy
Old 12-27-2005, 02:12 AM

Cindy,

different people have different views as to what the word "luxury" means to them. Few cruise ships offer a true luxury product, even well-known lines such as Carnival or Royal Caribbean with large, modern ships don't. Yet, millions of people love to take cruises, including myself of course, as IMHO cruises are nonetheless an excellent way to spend quality vacation time.

Be warned: Cruising is addictive!

Raoul Fiebig

Old 12-27-2005, 10:33 AM

Thank you so much! I'm really getting excited! Between you and Lisa, you have eased my mind a great deal! Hey- that's one addiction I would LOVE to have!!
Thanks again. I promise I'll stop being a pest!
Happy New Year!
Cindy
Old 06-05-2006, 08:21 PM

My DH and I are planning on a cruise at the end of June and were wondering if anyone has better pictures of the staterooms, other than what is posted on the Imperial Magesty web site?

Also, what is the difference between a superior outside cabin and a outside cabin?

Thanks,
Kathi
West Palm Beach
Old 06-06-2006, 06:15 AM

Hi Kathy!
Sadly, I haven't been able to take my cruise yet so I can't answer your questions, but would love to hear your impressions when you get back! Check with SHERMANSTRAVELS.com- he actually gave me info about the ship a while ago.
Have fun. I am soooo jealous!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:28 AM

I'll definately send a report on our trip. I tend to overplan even short trips! (I took a three ring binder with info on our last trip to NE Georgia!)

Thanks,
Kathi
West Palm Beach
Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 AM

Raoul,
I couldn't agree more about the old(er), classic ships. I had the priviledge of sailing on the previous Rotterdam - she was the last steam vessel in HAL's fleet and it was a wonderful experience (smoooooth, no vibration). She was elegant without being glizty (think Marlena vs. Madonna). My travel companions and I were treated to a tour of the engine room by one of the Engineering officers (who was trying to impress the daughter of the other couple).

Cindyeb, stop worrying about it; you will have a marvelous time!

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, cruises, imperial, palm, west