Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 12:04 PM

I am not even remotely surprised to hear of your experience. We did not have theft that I know of on our ship. However, the captain was very dishonest about the engine going out and our letter of complaint was not even answered. I would never sail with them again. We should have had port charges refunded for one port we missed altogether and one where we were only in for 2 hrs, not all day as promised. Their customer service is non-existent. If theft is commonplace, they need to address the issue.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 7continentKaren:
I am not even remotely surprised to hear of your experience. We did not have theft that I know of on our ship. However, the captain was very dishonest about the engine going out and our letter of complaint was not even answered. .
The engine went out???
Wow what ship was that?
It would be scary
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 PM
You definitely should have had some kind of refund or credit if you missed a port completely and only had a few hours in another. Did the Captain blame it on an engine problem and you knew that was not the case?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:42 AM

I am sorry for your problem, I have just read the legal terms and conditions on there site,these are standard,I can only comment based on uk law but I dont think there should be much difference, the key would be here that if you can prove that this is a common problem,that under there duty of responsibility, they did not take steps to inform you of this theft problem,so you then could take steps to protect your baggage, you would need to get a number of people who have suffered this way to put all the relevant info in writing to you, then move on the grounds that this is known as a problem by the company and they did not fulfill there duty of care to you, its a long shot, but the publicity generated if you can prove this may galvanise them into some form of action regards
Quote:
Originally posted by cabfrancair:
We recently returned from a Oceania baltic cruise. The cruise was great but when we left our luggage out for the required pick up on our last night, our ipod and portable speaker system was stolen from our luggage. We contacted Oceania several times with no response. What should we do??
Old 05-31-2007, 02:29 AM

I have just read my policy that states I am covered if it is under the control of the airline or transport company, you still have a duty to your insurance company to take reasonable care,ie locks, it is prudent if you have been informed of a problem, to take other steps,but if you are informed to leave your cases in the hallway and they did not inform me to leave items that may be easy to steal in my hand luggage,my insurance will pay, for items above the value limit of my travel insurance, I am covered by my home insurance for items below a specified value, for items above that, you have them valued then specified on your policy,I would add that because of fraud, always report a theft as soon as possible,if like my wife you buy items of value on your cruise re-strict the value to that of your cover, take a picture in your cabin of these items,and keep the insurance companies 24hrs helpline number in your mobile, it sounds a lot of trouble but it may save you the kind of problems in this thread, regards steve
Quote:
Originally posted by moeve:
I doubt any insurance will pay anything in this case since one is not even covered when these items are in checked luggage. Valuables should always be in your carry on regardless.

I would expect you all to have read your insurance policies and know about that?!?!?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:49 PM

I doubt any insurance will pay anything in this case since one is not even covered when these items are in checked luggage. Valuables should always be in your carry on regardless.

I would expect you all to have read your insurance policies and know about that?!?!?

I see steve has already addressed the above topic but I feel compelled to as well. I have read the policy I buy for every cruise I take and I have $1500. for baggage and personal effects regardless of whether I check it or carry it on. Not much but it'll pay for an iPod.

Having travel insurance doesn't relieve the cruiseline of their responsibility to provide some level of security for the belongings they are entrusted with. But with that said, things happen when you travel. To do so without travel insurance (medical, med transportation, baggage loss, trip cancellation, etc.) seems irresponsible. The cruise line is not the only party that needs to practice due diligence.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-01-2007, 12:03 AM

Neil,I was talking about this with a lawyer friend, we both agreed on the duty of care,but the thing that worried us the most is not what has been taken from luggage,but what may be added,and how we answer the questions about the control over our luggage that we have to answer at the airport. regards steve
Old 06-01-2007, 12:47 PM

We will never solve homeland security on these boards but the point is well taken. If Oceania or any other cruiseline is lax in security the door is open... perhaps as wide as our borders are curently. These issues are for people far smarter than I to solve. I try each time I get the cherished priviledge of voting to find some good folks who care about and think the same as I on these things but each time, no matter who I choose it seems they change thier mind on what they really care about. I'm not a worrier, I don't live fearing what might happen. I cruise, love every minute and if the damn thing ever blows up because of a lack of security I've had a wonderful life and my kids can take up at the polls where I left off and try again.

What a great country. I just wish those in charge loved it as much as my friends and I do. If they did they'd do something to secure it.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Well said! Couldn't agree more. It's just a shame politicians have to be so political--they bend this way and they bend that way and they bend over--whatever they have to do to get re-elected. I use to think term limits were the answer; but then you get a bunch of really dedicated people with no experience--but politics is really about having experience and building coalitions.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off like that. All I really wanted to say was thank you, Neil. I loved your post.

Rick
Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 AM

Neil,I agree with your sentiments to a degree, I was not refering to the obvious, a number of people have had substances placed in their luggage,if and when they clear customs, the retrieval by the criminal is a big problem for them,you should not allow both problems to dominate you, but take care and you have won steve

Closed Thread

Tags
2012, baby, baltic, baltics, contact, critic, cruise, cruises, email, oceania, oceanic, princess, programs, reviews, theft