Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 AM

Just a thought. As you have to leave your luggage outside your cabins unattended the night before you disembark, what do you say at the airline check in, when they ask the question, has your luggage been unattended at anytime? Do they then call security?
Do you have to put your luggage out or can you keep it and take it off ship yourself?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kentishgirl:
Just a thought. As you have to leave your luggage outside your cabins unattended the night before you disembark, what do you say at the airline check in, when they ask the question, has your luggage been unattended at anytime? Do they then call security?
Do you have to put your luggage out or can you keep it and take it off ship yourself?
It would be a big problem if everyone tried to self disembark.
The golden rule on any cruise
DO NOT PUT VALUABLES (camera's included) in your luggage outside the cabin.
Check your bag when you pick it up on the dock ..it only takes a minute to see if the lock is broken ...slide your hand into the outside pockets to make sure no one has sliced through the bag (this happened to us)

I tell them at the airport we were on a cruise and our bags were put out the night before .
Never been pulled over. YET
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 AM

Steve wrote: "thing that worried us the most is not what has been taken from luggage,but what may be added,and how we answer the questions about the control over our luggage that we have to answer at the airport."

Yikes! Never thought of that!

I'm also thinking of the ridiculous inconvenience. You're better off not taking ANYthing on carry-on. But with Oceania you'll be stuck between a rock and a hard place: Take stuff on carry-on and it might be confiscated by security... don't take it and it might be stolen!

I had a wonderful time when Oceania was Renaissance. Sad how it's degenerated under the new management.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joeinSD:
I had a wonderful time when Oceania was Renaissance. Sad how it's degenerated under the new management.
Oceania was never Renaissance.
That is like saying Princess & Azamara were Ren because they used the same ships.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LHT28:
quote:
Originally posted by joeinSD:
Oceania was never Renaissance.
That is like saying Princess & Azamara were Ren because they used the same ships.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:23 AM

Oops - pressed post too soon. Oceania sure sounds like Renaissance to a lot of people. Frank Del Rio was in charge at Renaissance until 4 mos before they went bankrupt. Sounds to me like he was chiefly responsible for the problems there, and now he sets up a new cruise line called Oceania - so he gets rid of his debts and gets to start over while leaving vendors and would be passengers and crew holding the bag. Nice guy. Nice cruiseline.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Traveler33:
Oops - pressed post too soon. Oceania sure sounds like Renaissance to a lot of people. Frank Del Rio was in charge at Renaissance until 4 mos before they went bankrupt. Sounds to me like he was chiefly responsible for the problems there, and now he sets up a new cruise line called Oceania - so he gets rid of his debts and gets to start over while leaving vendors and would be passengers and crew holding the bag. Nice guy. Nice cruiseline.
HMMM
2 posts both slamming Oceania.
Ren had problems and then 9/11 hit a lot of businesses didn't survive the downturn in travel
There is some info at
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/comsite5/bin/pdinventory...item_id=0286-6758958

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 PM

Yes, 9/11 affected the travel business in a bad way. But Renaissance's troubles were obviously well underway before 9/11 ever hit. That article you referred to is interesting. So they had to push Frank Del Rio out to try and clean up his mess?? But it was too little, too late. Why would anyone have faith in Del Rio at Oceania? I would be worried about bankruptcy with him in charge.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Traveler33:
Yes, 9/11 affected the travel business in a bad way. But Renaissance's troubles were obviously well underway before 9/11 ever hit. That article you referred to is interesting. So they had to push Frank Del Rio out to try and clean up his mess?? But it was too little, too late. Why would anyone have faith in Del Rio at Oceania? I would be worried about bankruptcy with him in charge.
Since when does a CEO own the cruise line? You better look at the finances of the holding company.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 PM

With Enron one of the most respected accounting firms in the world, Arthur Anderson, was overseeing the finances, balance sheets, profitability, etc. Yet guys like Jeff Skilling (Former CEO), Ken Lay (CEO at the time of the scandal) and Andy Fastow (CFO) all managed to not only corrupt the company but also the overseers.

I had a personal experience with a company I worked for that hired a heavy hitter CEO. Former Chairman of the Board of Bank of America, Former CEO of Carter,Hawley,Hale (Parent company of Neiman Marcus and about a dozen other retailers you've heard of and probably shopped at), former Board Member of Disney, etc. A very impressive resume. What you don't read is that the past several companies he's headed including Macy's (which recovered when he left) and a major furniture retailer in America that I managed a store for were all pilfered for assets including empolyee 401k's. The golden parachutes written into his and other croanies brought in with him to rob the companies blind added to their wealth by 10's of millions of dollars before leaving the carcus of a company in bankrupcy. The company I worked for and loved never recovered and is today out of business. The 130+ retail locations and the factory in CA that built fine custom furniture closed. All of the jobs gone and all the employees out of work, their stock worthless and their 401k's gone. Clients with deposits on furniture and creditors out of luck and dependant on the BK court to provide perhaps .10 cents on the dollar years later if they bothered to file claims go through the federal red tape required to get anything.

All this within a year and a half after the company was among the fastest growing and profitable companies in the industry. I'm not saying Del Rio is on a par with the CEO described above who last I heard was about to be named CEO of yet another unfortunate company with great fanfare from his past successes. My impression of Oceania as a company and the reviews I get from clients are outstanding. Just don't ever believe that a CEO is not where you should look when it comes to corporate corruption.

Sorry for writing a book, touchy subject in my life. A period that nearly caused me financial and emotional ruin. I could truly empathize with the people working for Enron who lost everything.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
2012, baby, baltic, baltics, contact, critic, cruise, cruises, email, oceania, oceanic, princess, programs, reviews, theft