Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 12:37 PM

We recently returned from a Oceania baltic cruise. The cruise was great but when we left our luggage out for the required pick up on our last night, our ipod and portable speaker system was stolen from our luggage. We contacted Oceania several times with no response. What should we do??
Old 09-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Did you report it at the pier?

Maybe write to Mr. Del Rio directly explaining the situation.
This is the 2nd time I heard of problems on Oceania.
In future I would not put anything valuable in my luggage in the hall!
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-05-2006, 06:23 PM

Never put anything of value in your checked luggage. The cruise lines brief you on this in the debarkation talk. Was your luggage locked? Who at Oceania did you contact? You may check with your home insurance company. It's probably not covered for something like that though.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:47 AM

I phoned the cruise and told them of the theft. The recorded message directed us to send the message it writing, which we did several times ( 39 days ago).
Regarding valuables: I do not live my live in fear nor do I want to be a pack mule. I expect to find my valuables the same way in left them. 3 of my shirts cost what I lost in electronics...should I ware them all home?
I would like to know the presidents email. Bottom line. I sent several messages and did not get one response..not even when I sent return receipt requested by email.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:52 PM

I am sorry you had things stolen from your luggage. There is no need to get sarcastic with anyone on this site though. I'm sorry but you are naive in your belief that things will be just as you left them. Unfortunately, it's just not the world we live in today. Is it right? No. Should you be able to trust the cruise line employees? Yes. But this happens every day at airports, hotels, schools, parking lots, shopping malls, restaurants, wherever. The electronics was something of value that can easily be sold or pawned. Your shirts are of no value in this manner. You put candy in front of a baby.
As for writing to the cruise line you claim you have already written several letters. When writing to a company it takes 4-6 weeks for a response.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:22 PM

Looks like we are both naive. The baby must have very stong teeth to naw off my lock.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 PM

I had the same icky experience during the Oceania Baltic cruise on Insignia this summer. My digital camera, CD player and CDs were stolen out of my locked luggage on the last night, after the bags were placed outside the door. I discovered the locks had been removed when I retrieved my bags at the airport the next morning. However, I found Oceania's patronizing email response even more of a violation than the actual theft. After several emails and phone calls to report the incident, Oceania took 6 weeks to reply. The customer service rep, and finally a supervisor, sent chillingly polite, nonspecific email responses. I was advised to purchase travel insurance in the future. I am amazed with the discrepancy between the level of service & care during the cruise and the complete disregard shown after all the bills (and gratuities) had been paid. This leads me to believe that theft may be a common experience for Oceania passengers, and one that this cruiseline is not willing to address. Very unfortunate. I am interested in knowing what kind of respone you received.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SKV2:
I had the same icky experience during the Oceania Baltic cruise on Insignia this summer. My digital camera, CD player and CDs were stolen out of my locked luggage on the last night, after the bags were placed outside the door. I discovered the locks had been removed when I retrieved my bags at the airport the next morning.
Just curious??
Were the locks on the luggage when you claimed them at the pier?

The items could have been removed anywhere in between your cabin & the airport the next day so why blame Oceania ...maybe it was the airlines?
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. However, it's very clear the locks were removed sometime between 10:45pm (when I placed the bags outside my stateroom door)and 6:30 am the next morning. At the pier, I watched my brother load our familiy's luggage onto the coach. I noticed the locks were missing at the airport when they were unloaded from the coach and I was preparing to check in for my flight home. That does not leave a lot of wiggle room. Plus, now I am hearing about other passengers who have had the same experiences with theft on Oceania.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SKV2:
At the pier, I watched my brother load our familiy's luggage onto the coach. I noticed the locks were missing at the airport when they were unloaded from the coach and I was preparing to check in for my flight home. That does not leave a lot of wiggle room. Plus, now I am hearing about other passengers who have had the same experiences with theft on Oceania.
Thanks
I will be checking my locks at the pier before I leave the area .. I do not pack my valuables in the checked luggage I put in my carry-off.
Maybe your house insurance policy will cover the missing items.

I would write to Mr Del Rio he seems to be interested in his company. He posts on Cruise Critic ...not many CEO's read the cruise boards

FUTURE CRUISES:

Closed Thread

Tags
2012, baby, baltic, baltics, contact, critic, cruise, cruises, email, oceania, oceanic, princess, programs, reviews, theft