Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:46 PM

I just got back on Sunday. I'm planning on writing a review for the cruise reviews on this site. I thought in the meantime- if anyone has questions, let me know. I really didn't know what to expect from the mixed reviews. I have mixed feelings even after being on it- some things were great, some things weren't but overall had a great time and a lot of fun.

My worst review is the decorating of the ship- Far from classy- very little wood (as a review has said) but instead things painted to look that way. A lot of painted metal (even the crown molding around the room- that held up tacky plactic with florecent lighting) especially the hall wall railings everywhere. Naked ladies wallpaper wall in between the breaks of rooms (yes the whole hall ways thousands of naked women- one in a squating pose). Buffet room the light fixtures where scuptures of arms holding light bulbs- it was like people coming out of the floor and ceiling just to hand you a light bulb. The restuarant that you pay to go to- to above the buffet and open to it (just a railing looking down) so all you hear is the buffet. They put one dining room in the middle of the ship and it is two floors but you can't go around it so moving from one side of the ship to another is a bit of a pain. Both dining rooms were bright and tacky and made me think I was in Atlantic City- it was also very loud being 2 open stories. So that was my bad- which I can't complain too much since I had a great time.

My average- the food. Cruising is know for amazing food (we got amazing restuarant food but not amazing cruise food- if that makes sense). I never went hungry and I ate with a smile and enjoyed all of it (execpt the Lobster was horrible but replaced with Filet which was amazing). But I didn't spent my whole cruise thinking about my unbelievable meal the night before (that is how I expect to be WOW!!! my mouth is in heaven).

My favorite- the fun. Not at all stiff. We enjoy the luxury but every now and then you need to kick off your shoes. If you are looking for luxury don't do Costa Magica but if you are looking to relax and enjoy. No need for tux- dance around the dining room- toga, toga, toga- enjoy ports- packages- excursions- family. All that sort of thing.

Recommend- get your packages before hand. Excursions (most were booked before we left). Welcome package (champage, fruit (refilled daily), choc strawberries, floral arrangement, captains VIP cocktail) $150. Wine Package (5 wines, 1 champage, 10 water) $100.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:55 AM

Alisa,
Thanks so much for the advance review. I will be sailing on the Costa Magica April 28th and look forward to "letting my hair down" (even though it is relatively short - VBG) and "having fun". Having sailed on the Costa Med, I agree, the Toga Party is fun. Do they still have the same policy that your sail & sign card is activated immediately, but you can actually provide your credit card days into the cruise thus avoiding the long lines at the pursers?
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM

Thanks, Alisa, for your "mini-review" here. Very helpful information! I'm glad you were able to overlook the "bad" and enjoy yourself - too many people get hung up on it and end up miserable.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:17 PM

That's what made embarkment so easy!!! I loved the give us you CC info later approach. My luggage was taken at the airport so I was not in the best spirits- okay I had a nervous breakdown in Target as I'm buying all new things. So once I finially got to the ship I needed a drink and needed to not be hasseled. My card worked immediately and the service was great and made me relax and not worry that I was leaving for 7 nights with the clothes on my back- thinking that someone else is going through my underwear. I was lucky that we didn't leave until 7pm- 1: I took a later flight so I would miss the crazy everyone embarking at one & 2: gave me chance to go buy things. I got my luggage back but the woman who took mine was on another cruise so my bag went to all the ports that we didn't- met back up in FL and she was also on our flight home (how ackward!!!). I left her bag in FL so she got hers at her 1st port- I know it wasn't my fault when the belt stoped and I'm the only person standing there with some strange bag still sitting on the belt. But it happens and I was blessed to get it back (plus all new stuff too!!!).
Old 04-05-2006, 07:55 PM

Kudos to you for a great attitude! You lost your luggage too!?!? Very awkward indeed, being on the same flight with the culprit - at least her taking yours was not theft but oversight. I wonder if she complained about having someone else's luggage during her cruise??
Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 PM

Alisa,
You had not shared in your first post that you arrived on board with no luggage. That makes your positive attitude about the whole experience even better. We really do make choices and it is so nice to see that you chose to make the best of things and have a good time! Thanks for the info on the CC, that sure does make the whole process much more pleasant.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 AM

I am very happy to read this review. I don't know if you have read my review on the Costa Mediterranea, but I got 1/2 of my money back. The customer service there is great, If you have any comments or complaints, take the time to write or call Debbie Pierce in Customers Relations, she is fantastic!!!
I saw the Magica docked in Fort Lauderdale and it'd good to read what it really looks inside. I thought that the Mediterranea had over-the-top decor as well, but Eh! I know few Italian people myself, and they are just like that too!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:35 AM

Hi, thanks for the review..I am going on the April 20th Costa Magica (Bermuda/Bahama cruise) and wanted to know how you purchased your excursions ahead of time..is there a number you call directly?
Old 04-10-2006, 12:37 PM

I talked to Costa about shore excursions and she informed me that you could only book about two months before your cruise. We're booked in December and I wanted to book the snorkeling excursion in Grand Turk, but she said it was too early. If you cannot book, there phone number is 800-472-6782. Enjoy your cruise.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:31 AM

I booked my extras on-line. You go to there website and set up a profile using your booking number. I purchased my excursions and my wine package and my welcome package. $450- for 4 excursions (2 people 2 days), wine package (5 wimes, 1 champage, 10 waters), welcome package (choc covered strawberries, champage, fresh fruit daily, early disembarkment, VIP cocktail party).

I booked my cruise as a last minute deal so I was able to book all this stuff right away. Being April 20th, you should be able too.

Closed Thread

Tags
costa, cruises, drink, magica, packages, party, toga