Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 PM

We are looking into taking a Disney Cruise over Labor Day this year. Does anyone know what is the earliest time you can get on the ship? How about the latest? We are looking at airfare and the times they fly out from here and arrive in Orlando, and our choices are 6:30 am arriving at 9:30.... which would be arriving at the airport at 4:30 in the morning with a 3 year old.....or 10:15 am and arriving at 1:00 pm in Orlando. Getting baggage about 1/2 hour....driving about an hour..dropping people at the ship, dropping the rental car, having them shuttle one of us back to the ship.... so the 9:30 arrival would put us at the ship at about 11:00 or so....but starting our day in the middle of the night with a 3 year old...not preferable....or taking the flight a few hours later, getting to Orlando at 1:00 thus getting us to the ship around 2:30 or so. Our knowing what the time frame is for boarding and stop boarding is, would be helpful.

Or......possibly flying out the day before, and staying in a hotel in the area.....anyone know of one in the area of Port Canaveral that has cool stuff to do for a 3 year old?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:01 AM

Hi, we've been on two previous Disney cruises, but several out of Pt. Canaveral with two small children. We always drive from Georgia the night before and stay in a hotel in the area. We've always gotten to the terminal (or whatever you call it) early in the day, check in with no lines and then sign the kids up for the kid's programs with no lines also. It is a good thing to sign the kids up here, because the lines get so long once registration begins on the ship (at least they were our two times).

Both times, i want to say we boarded around noon since we were in the front of the line. This isn't the official boarding time, but i think as soon as the ship is ready to take guests, they begin the process. They have you go straight in and up to lunch first. The first Disney one we did was when my daughter had just turned 4 and my son 6. I do suggest to get there early, just becuase the terminal gets really busy. They have Disney shows playing on tvs, coloring for the kids and a couple of the characters walking around to pass time for them, but for the costs of the cruises, we like to have that first day be an actual vacation day. After lunch the kids go swimming before the ship sails (and I'm assuming you've read about how cool the kid's pool is. I've never been to a pool with my kids before and just let them go by themselves without worries until we went on this cruise!) Anyway, the pool isn't as crowded if you hit it on the earlier end, but later in the afternoon it's pretty bombed since every little kid sees it and HAS to go in!!!

We've stay two times at Radisson at the Port which offers free shuttle service to and from the port as well as free parking while on your cruise. It is ok and has a really nice pool. We've also stayed in smaller, cheaper little places, but my husband hasn't liked any of those! I can feel good recommending the Radisson. I do know that I'd book the reservation early though, because, both times we had checked prices early on and then when we actually booked, the prices had gone up. We always book through Expedia, Travelocity or Orbitz.

Just a thought, if you end up flying in the day of the cruise, have you checked into Disney's bus transfers instead of a rental car? We've never personally used them since we always drive from Atlanta, but i know people who've had good experiences. Keep in mind that parking at the port costs I believe around $12 a day, so depending on your length of cruise, this could add up.

Hope this helps! We're taking the Disney Magic with the kids this June out of Barcelona, Spain for their 10-day Mediterranean cruise and can't wait!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:05 AM

Just reread my message AFTER posting (sorry) and wanted to clarify something. I mentioned we were "in the front of the line". I don't mean literally. You do not have to stand in line (that would be horrible with a 3 year old! . You are given a number or group number and they will call your boarding group based on when you checked in. Just meant that we were in the first group because we arrived early. And thinking back again, i think we arrived around 10:30-11ish, but waited for a while. I don't know when boarding is over.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:27 PM

HIm
I am interested in hearing about your Disney Cruise out of Barcelona!!!
We took our daughter and grandchildren ages 7 and 9 two years ago to the Eastern Carib......it was fantastic.
I just heard about the Disney Med. cruise and
I am very interested in hearing your comments.
Would like to book it for next year!

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:09 PM

hi our family is going on the disney july 28th mediterranean cruise.. anyone else going???
Old 05-31-2007, 12:19 AM

hey there,
we are going to the disney cruise on july 28th too.

Closed Thread

Tags
barcelona, children, cruise, day, disney, earliest, embarkation, embarkment, lunch, med, mediterranean, reviews, shuttle, small, swimming, time