Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 PM

Hello all. My husband and I are planning on taking our 2 boys, now ages 4 and 8 on a disney cruise in 2008. I was told by a couple of people that going to Walt Disney World would be better for the kids. For those who have been to both WDW and on Disney Cruise Line, which would you say is best and why?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 PM

Hello all. My husband and I are planning on taking our 2 boys, now ages 4 and 8 on a disney cruise in 2008. I was told by a couple of people that going to Walt Disney World would be better for the kids. For those who have been to both WDW and on Disney Cruise Line, which would you say is best and why?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 PM

I don't know why they would say that. The cruise would be so much more relaxing for you and your husband. The ship has so many activities planned for the children. They have their own food line, pool, and the Ocean Lab full of activities. They have special autograph sessions on the ship with the characters, and they can have a special breakfast with the characters. On Disney's private island they have a family beach, and now they have a pirates ship replica from the Pirate's of the Caribbean movie. They serve Mickey mouse waffles, and Mickey Mouse ice cream bars. They have three dining rooms which you rotate to a different one each night. Your table staff rotates with you. The staff will treat the kids royally. The one dining room is The Animator's Palate. The walls are black and white sketchings of Disney movies and as you go through your courses the walls color in. They show Disney movies in the theatre. The main show lounge will have shows based on some sort of Disney theme. The shows are great for children and adults. WDW is a lot of walking, waiting in line, and expensive food (although now for $35 a day per person you can get a food plan.) In 2008 your youngest will be 6. I am not sure at that age if he will get tired from all the walking and need a nap. But on the ship if he needs a nap, it's a quick walk back to the cabin, in WDW you would have to wait for the buses and then possibly a long ride back to the hotel. I just think the cruise would be more relaxing and I think if you waited until they were a little bit older for WDW,then they would appreciate all the creativity more at WDW. I love both the cruise and WDW though.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:20 PM

Cruise Fanatic,

Thanks a million. Your post was VERY helpful.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:55 AM

I personally haven't been on the cruise, but have a friend that took her daughter and they loved it. I have been to Disney World, Epcot, Safari Land, MGM Park, and River Country. While everyone should enjoy a visit to the Magic Kingdom, it is VERY expensive. We bought a Park Hopper pass, and I believe it was $120/day per person, or something near that. We had lunch at the Brown Derby, $12.50 for a salad, $5.00/glass for ice tea (no refill). Dinner was twice as expensive on the grounds. I was there for 3 days and spent over $1000 (park passes, meals, drinks, and alcholic beverages), my husband had to be there for an entire week (conference), so I have no clue how much he spent. I have to believe a cruise would cost a great deal less, and be more fun. It might be nice to do a 1 or 2 day visit to the Kingdom before or after your cruise, if you can afford it. Best wishes!
Old 10-20-2006, 04:46 PM

I am planning a 3 day land/4 night sail on May 31st. We are taking our 3 girls ages: 4,9, & 11. We've been to WDW 3 times in the last 3 years, so we know to to expect there, but this is our first cruise on Disney and first cruise as a family. ( My husband and I honey-mooned on the Carnival(Fantasy) 13 yrs ago. ) For those that have been on the Disney wonder, did you ever feel like your kids could get truely lost? Did you feel comfortable leaving little one's in the camp's? Are the pools okay to not worry about the kids drowning, getting hurt etc? I'm a picky eater, are hamburgers, pizza's, chicken , spaghetti, avaliable for adults? What can you tell me about the trip?

Breezes Resorts by SuperClubs
Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 PM

I agree with Cruise Fanatic's post. The cruise will provide a wonderful level of relaxation for adults that you won't get in WDW. And Tonya, I think you can order off the kids' menu if you like (it includes things like hot dogs, mac & cheese, etc.) I believe there is usually a broiled chicken entree available each night as well, for those who don't like the menu selections.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 AM

We have been on the Wonder twice, most recently in Oct with our 4 year old daughter and loved it. Disney world is a lot of stress with the waiting and hords of people. The cruise is very relaxing for you and very eventful for the kids.We left our daughter in the kids club for a couple of hours after dinner 2 nights and she loved it, there are many and wonderful people working in there. We kept waiting for our pager to go off, thinking she would want to leave, but it never did. Most of the characters are on there with short lines, including on castaway cay. She loved dancing with lilo and stitch on castaway, as they did a dance with just the kids. Many activities besides the beach on the island to keep busy also and plenty of food. The shows at night were great and the adult games and shows were also great. Service was outstanding especially toward the kids. We are already planning a 7 day on disney for next year. We live near disney and have annual passes, it's a great place but with some drawbacks as noted. If you can go in to the parks in Jan or Sept it is much nicer as the crowds are less.

Caribbean Travel Photos
Old 11-12-2006, 03:22 PM

Thanks Chuckc for posting about your most recent cruise. I'm am super excited to go. We will stay at the Disney's polynesian resort from May 17-20th and cruise the 20-24th. I'm glad that you mentioned having pagers when you leave kids in the clubs. I wondered how comfortable I'd be leaving them there without standing outside the door waiting for them to want to go.
Did you have any trouble booking shore excursions or Spa reservations? If so how far in advance did you book?
I've been to WDW every year for the last 3 years and want to explore more of Downtown Disney while my husband golf's this year. I can't wait for the fun!

Old 11-12-2006, 03:40 PM

How do I change my ticker? I can't even find where I stashed my code for the current one to delete it.

Well I figured it out, I just can't figure out how to delete the post now! LOL

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, disney, kids, mom, single