Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 AM

Hi, This will be my first time on a Costa cruise and I am hoping someone could answer a few questions. A bit confused on what to expect. Am I understanding correctly that unlike other cruise lines, Costa does not provide coffee and ice tea dispensers on the pool deck? Do they provide water and coffee, tea at dinner or is there a charge for this? and...how many formal nights are there to expect?
any feedback is appreciated
Karen
Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 AM

Hi kmathi, Costa does indeed have water and tea dispensers. There were some outside of the buffet, but I can't remember if that was the same deck as the pool. There was also either lemonade or punch. Coffee, Tea, and water are definitely provided with dinner. There is also a free gelato machine. In fact, they have as much, if not more, in the way of food offerings. Especially if the do the tour of the countries at night. They will give you a passport, then set up stations at various venues for you to sample the food and the wine of the region. They have munchies during the early evening at their bars. They didn't have an afternoon tea, but did have munchies at the buffet area. They have pizza/pasta stations, too. There were ice buckets in the room w/bottled water (for a price) and sodas (for a price). They have drinks of the day. About the only major difference is that all announcements are made in 5 languages and English is not the main language. There are 2 formal nights and 1 toga night (the last night). I hope you have as much fun as we do on Costa. They're different, but fantastic in their own way. I think you'll find the cabins are larger than on a lot of other lines. Now, before I get in trouble with some on the board, the cabins appear to be larger and this could be the way they're laid out, but they seem to be larger to me.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 AM

Thank you penny..if you don't mind I'd like to ask a few more questions. It seems you have experience with Costa and I read on another question you mention that the Italian line is different in comparision to Carnival and others. Could you tell me how? and also, what type of fellow passengers should we expect ie..age group.., mostly italian?. I am traveling with teenagers and they are concerned. The cruise is on the Fortuna for a New Years Sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. I have never had a problem with any line or any types of people so I am sure I will not have any issues..just curious of how they differ in running the ship. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:53 AM

When Costa sails out of Europe you will have more of a European passenger mix. When it sails out of N. America you will have more of an American mix. Also during the holidays you will have more families.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 AM

Kmathi, the biggest thing we noticed on Costa is way more children than on other lines. I'm not just talking about little ones, I'm talking about teenagers, too. The demographics of the passengers is generally a younger mix than on Princess or HAL. I'd say the average is around 40 for the adults and 13 for the children. Somewhere around there. There aren't particularly more Europeans on board, but it's not catered to Americans. There is a definite European atmosphere on board, the art work, the interior designs, the crew. The crew is more like family, one HUGE family. There are members from all over the world, too.

Running the ship is professional, the ships are immaculate and they are constantly cleaning up after all the kids. When you leave a port they play Dean Martin's "That's Amore". The muster drill is long because all instructions are given in all 5 languages while you stand by your lifeboat in your lifejacket. Then all announcements are made in all 5 languages. The officer's are mainly Italian, but the rest of the crew is a mixture like any other ship. The food and the fun are the best part of the atmosphere. Just typing about it now, I'm singing the song in my head with a smile plastered from ear to ear.

I have a feeling, when you leave the ship, you'll be wanting to book another cruise on Costa.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 AM

Costa often has a kids sail free promotion. That is why you will see a lot of kids on Costa.

Closed Thread

Tags
costa, costas, cruise, cruises, final, interview, kind, line, question, questions