Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 01:56 PM

Has anyone worked for a cruiseship? Good or bad experiences...I landed a job with Steiner Leisure, a spa company that will place me on the ship they see fit as a hairstylist. I first go to London for training then they place me. I am in my sixth year of doing hair here in California, and I am finally building a successful clientele. I applied over 2 years ago for the cruise job and now that I have been successful, I want to know is it worth it? I will be leaving a clientele and may lose them all, a boyfriend I may lose too, but I am willing to rebuild my life if I know it will be a good experience. Some tell me it's not worth it, some say I will never forget it!! I may regret it if I don't see what it was like. So if there is anyone out there who has experienced life at sea especially any hair stylist at first hand and know what it is like please respond, I grately appreciate it..
Sincerely,
LJ Styles
Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 PM

Only you can make a decision like that. The fact that your even asking this question tells me that you are doubting yourself and what you have there in California. What one person experiences could be totally different from what you may experience. Depending on your age and maturity. I would make a list of pros and cons and evaluate what you have and what it's worth to you, and how you would feel if you lost it. Then you will probably have your answer.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator

LJ,

Let me play devil's advocate here and offer some cons....

Don't lose sight of the fact that this is a job at sea and you will be at sea for many months before you get a break. Leisure time for crew is quite limited, and you often have extra duties beyond being a hair stylist. You will have to share a small cabin with others. You eat in the crew's mess hall.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:18 AM

I don't think the lifestyle for crew members is all that glamourous. To me, the advantage would be the chance to see the world. However, like everything else, offshore time is limited.

It sounds like you have a lot you'd be leaving behind.

Another factor to consider is the type/line you'll be travelling on. Steiner is used by quite a few lines (Carnival for sure - I'm sorry but I don't know the others), and you might end up on a big beautiful ship or a 20 year old tiny outdated vessel.

I'm not sure what kind of compensation you are being offered, but this would also factor in my decision. I know there are mandatory gratuities applied to all spa services (not sure you get 100% of that or not), plus you may get a little extra. Prices are fairly high on board so this *should* translate into a decent wage.

Good luck with your decision.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 07-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

First of all I would take a cruise if you have never taken one. You may not be able to adjsut or like being on a ship.

Then I would talk to as many employees as possible to get the pros and cons. Most employees are from so called 3rd world countries and this is a opportunity to make a ton of money compared to what they could make at home. There will also be a few that just want to travel and see different places but if it is not on your day off you do not get to see it. Even though a ship is in port I am sure that passengers will want your services.

Good Luck. I would say go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Closed Thread

Tags
california, cons, cruise, hair, hairstylist, job, leisure, negative, pros, review, reviews, ship, steiner, stylist, worked