Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM

OMG...OMG..I dont understand what all the negative reviews are about with Costa!! Before leaving I read a great deal of negative reviews and I have to take the time to say...OMG! What could you possibly find wrong???!! This was my first Costa but now marks our 15th cruise and I have not had such a great experience with a cruise as this one in a while. Food was very plentiful.(like the ol days of cruising with 7 courses offered each night) AND WHAT A CHOICE and..and...the waiters were wonderful offering extra apps or entrees! Buffets offered a nice variety each day along with the consistent ones with pizza and icecream being avail for the most part. The entertainment was wonderful with also a nice variety each night and I have to say the dancers were well trained from ballet to jazz to tap. The pool area had a very energetic staff, frienly and certainly entertaining and the pool bar attentents were there but not pushy. Yes, a great deal of the announcements/entertainment and other was done in Italian BUT in American as well...so for all complainers that it was not Americanized enough for you (and we actually experienced one first hand) ...YOU WERE ON AN ITALIAN SHIP LINE ...that went out of there way to accomidate YOU by also speaking American. We actually did have a small problem with our bill due to human error AND EVEN THAT WAS CLEARED UP with a courteous manner and in a timely fashion.. The staff...guests(mostly italian)..and line itself was great and unless you are a difficult person to begin with..COSTA IS WONDERFUL AND I WILL DEFINATELY BE BOOKING THEM AGAIN.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM

It's nice to read something positive for once. Which ship were you on?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Hi, The Fortuna. Seriously, we were very leary on what to expect and half way through the cruise we had our mouths hanging open in shock that anyone would have a problem with them. Still do not understand the "Americanizing" comments because they really went out of there way to accomidate the Americans. There was absolutly no problem with the Italian guest mixing with the American ones either..they were very friendly. It was so orgainized and the staff made every guest feel welcome and comfortable no matter what language you spoke. We still cannot get over the food that was offered each night. I am only sorry that we stayed with the main stream lines all this time and did not try COSTA sooner. Cannot wait to book them again.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Oh kmathi, I am SOOOOOO VERY HAPPY to hear you enjoyed Costa. I absolutely LOVE them, too! I love hearing Dean Martin singing when you leave port, I love toga night, I love a happy ship. Did they have the tour of the regions? That was so awesome!

I know you'd rather be back on board. The Fortuna was docked when we docked. I really wanted to hop on board. She just looked so inviting.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the upbeat review of Costa. They do try to accomodate English speaking people like we Americans. I have long since grown tired of Americans who think the whole world revolves around them.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 PM

It was a wonderful ship and yes I do indeed wish I was back on and am already figuring out when I can get back on a Costa! No they did not do "tour of the regions" but that could be because they were busy creating a terrific New Years Eve! THEY MADE IT SNOW!! At 11:30, Max the cruise director announced to be in the Atrium to see it snow..and it did..snow machines up in the rafters were at work for a half hour before they did the midnight thing. One formal night they gave champaine and a caviar starter to everyone. AND TOGA NIGHT WAS AWESOME...they turned the typical guest talent night into an outrageous and fun event.. I cannot rave enough about my time on board.
And yes Dave..it is sad, selfish, and self centered on those who think they only exist. I was so annoyed listening to this one couple..loudly and I mean loudly insulting those around them..and go and on about how it was too Italian... and that they should be more Americanized... and that the food was garbage...COULD YOU IMAGINE! Shame Shame on those people.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Welcome back. It sounds like you had a great time.

As for the reviews, as we often say on this board, people with complaints are often much more vocal and more likely to write a review than folks with nothing to complain about. That's why we say to read reviews with a grain of salt. I've enjoyed my cruises on Costa a lot, too. It's like a visit to Italy, where you wouldn't expect everyone to speak English or do things in an American way.

Thanks for your review. I appreciate that someone who had a good time took the time to write!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 PM

I loved your uplifting review! I have some close friends sailing on Costa this month.

Sonny
Old 01-26-2010, 06:02 PM

I am happy you enjoyed Costa. I had cruised Princess 4 times several years ago and decided maybe it is time to try another Line. I tried MSC Cruise Line also an Italian ship. It was a 10 day Southern Caribbean out of Ft.Lauderdale. I must say I could not have been happier getting off the ship. I am well traveled, Canadian and ex military (26 years)who lived in Europe on 2 different occasions. I also speak 3 languages. That cruise did leave me with a bad taste. I will not even begin about the problems on that specific cruise because I will be writing for hours. My point is I do enjoy a mix culture of people on cruises and it was nice to read your comments and I would probably give Costa a try.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 PM
How about this for a late booking....just booked a cruise on the Costa Fortuna in a weeks time.

I'm aware of the negative reports and I must admit I have slight concerns about the smoking areas in the bars and the delays to get ashore when the tender is used. (Costa will obviously get the passengers who have paid for excursions off first)

For me, I'm sure the positives will outweigh the negatives, like eating great european/italian food, the european atmosphere around the ship,a chance to visit new places & revisit places I enjoyed before & cruising in & out of Venice in style.

Does anyone know if there is a " bon viaggio " party as the Fortuna sails out of Venice.
What is the Roman Bacchanal Parade I've seen mentioned ? Is it different to the toga party I've also seen mentioned ? Do many dress up for the toga party & take part or is it mainly the staff ?

Does anyone have any other tips they can give me ?

Closed Thread

Tags
americans, costa, cruise, cruises, english, fortuna, lines, msc, party, reviews, speak, toga