Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 02:52 AM

I am booked on this cruise and this is my first time cruising in the Caribbean. I have been reading reviews on this cruise ( mostly complaints!) and am getting a bit disheartened before I even go. Has anyone got anything good to say about this cruise?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:59 AM

Hi First McCruise, I haven't sailed on the Lirica, but would like to point out that most negative reviews on any ship come from people that may have had a couple of minor problems and have decided that the whole experience was terrible. I have sailed with Costa, which is an Italian based cruise line. While they are not anything like the main stream cruise lines, they offer a great product. It is going to be different than Princess, NCL, HAL, RCCL, Carnival in that most announcements will be in 5 languages. The food will have European influence. The crew will speak English, but it is not their primary language. It is a different experience, but to me, a fun experience. I've sailed on Costa 4 times and will continue to sail with them. I prefer Princess, but have always had a great time on Costa. Our last 2 on Costa were on the Magica and the Mediterranea. The cabins were much larger than our cabins on Princess. Don't go with a negative attitide, just remember that it's a different culture and have an open mind. I'll bet you'll have a wonderful time! Best wishes and let us know when you get back how much fun you had!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM

Hi First, we sailed last March on the Lirica on a 10 day Panama cruise and loved it. We have been on a total of 18 cruises,(Princess, Cunard, American Hawaii, Carnival, Holland), the Lirica was as good as some of the lines and better than some. You have to go on your cruise with a open mind. Its a Italian based company with European flair. Many different nationalities and language spoken. The one thing that impressed me there was no politics on the ship. It was a true vacation with everyone enjoying. Service was great on our cruise, better than most other lines. English was the main language spoken, although announcements,(very few compared to some lines which is good), were spoken in 4 or 5 languages. The daily newsletter was also written in 5 or 6 languages. All in all it was a great cruise and we would highly recommend MSC.
JC
Old 02-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by First McCruise:
I am booked on this cruise and this is my first time cruising in the Caribbean. I have been reading reviews on this cruise ( mostly complaints!) and am getting a bit disheartened before I even go. Has anyone got anything good to say about this cruise?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by First McCruise:
I just came back Feb 08/2008 from sailing on the Lirica Eastern Carribean 10 days. I have to agree with Penny if you want to find fault you will. That was my second cruise the first with Princess Sun 10 days Southern carribean. Overall the Lirica was good. They were on time at all Ports and the disembarkation was fast and simple. If this is your first Cruise go with a positive attitude and if you wish to cruise again try a diiferent cruise line. My wife and I enjoyed the cruise it was a good bang for the dollar.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 PM

Many of the issues that rear their heads as complaints on Cosat and other European cruiselines are because of improper expectations. Costa is not a traditional North American cruise experience. The cruises will have many nationalities represented and english is just one of many languages spoken onboard, in the dining room and on announcements. The food will be less geared toward an American palette and more international. If you're looking for a Main Street USA cruise experience stick with Carnival and Royal Caribbean departing US ports. If you'd like to enjoy a little of a cultural experience with your cruise and feel like you're in the Med while cruising, even in the caribbean, Costa should be on your list.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 PM

I'm afraid Penny is right on the money. Like marriage, a cruise is an empty box, you can only take away what you put in. I believe that most people cruise to experience the "world" and you know what? America is not the world. So go and look forward positively to your first cruise. Bring a good book cause sometimes, just sometimes, a good book is worth the entertainment one looks for.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:28 PM

I thought the question was about MSC lines, if I'm not mistaken most of the responses are about Costa, or is it Cosat, cruise line. I am a experienced cruiser and know the difference between good and bad. I for one HIGHLY recommend MSC Liraca and the rest of its ships and crews. We sailed on her March 07. Crew, food and entertainment was FANTASTIC. also the ship was immaculate.
JC
Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Oops, JC you're right. I posted a response and ended it with mentioning Costa instead of MSC. I've done that before. Costa is the largest European cruiseline but MSC is the fastest growing with a lot of new ships coming in the very near future. They both have a lot in common, both based in Genoa and similar demographics and other things. If you like one, you're likely to like both. If you're not crazy about one you probably won't like the other.

Cheers, Neil
Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JC 49:
I thought the question was about MSC lines, if I'm not mistaken most of the responses are about Costa, or is it Cosat, cruise line. I am a experienced cruiser and know the difference between good and bad. I for one HIGHLY recommend MSC Liraca and the rest of its ships and crews. We sailed on her March 07. Crew, food and entertainment was FANTASTIC. also the ship was immaculate.
JC
I've been looking at MSC with some interest but their ships remind me of being very similar to a Costa ship we took in the Mediterranean some years ago. The prices look appealing but I've been reluctant to make the jump. How was the smoke situation aboard?

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carribean, complaint, complaints, cruise, demographic, enjoyed, forum, line, lines, lirica, msc, nationalities, review, reviews