Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 03:19 PM

My wife took her first cruise on the StarShip Atlantic when Premier was still affiliated with Disney. She has such fond memories of that cruise - it got her "hooked" on cruising!! (I was taking my second cruise on the Carnivale at the same time... but I was "hooked" before I even set foot on a ship!!)

Also, thanks for a lovely picture of Oceanic, Raoul. I have admired that ship since I was a small boy in NYC and it was with Home Lines. I wrote a paper on ships for 7th grade, and the Oceanic factored large in my "Modern Era" section. I still remember the thrill of getting a thick envelope of brochures and pictures from Home Lines in response to a letter I sent them. It was my "dream" to cruise on the Oceanic... but my parents said it was "only for rich folks".... wow, how times and cruising have changed, no??
Old 10-12-2006, 09:03 PM

One of Premiers Big Red Boats came out to Australia and did a year of departures from Sydney. Does anyone know which one it was?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Another Big Red Boat question: Wasn't one of them the original Sun Princess, and before that, The Spirit of London? And if so, which one and where is it now? Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:45 AM

f-mattox,

yes, this was the "Starship Majestic", now operating on the growing Spanish cruise market under the name "New Flamenco":

Raoul Fiebig

Old 11-24-2006, 06:18 PM

Hey Raoul

I actually think the Big Red Boat (Oceanic is in Alang) See http://www.maritimematters.com/mall_alang_pk.html

I actually got to go on all the "Big Red Boats" several times and yes they Did offer a lot of service, great food, and "everyone was always friendly. I also sailed on the Oceanic before Premier had her. We almost got stuck in Freeport. The other place they took passengers was the Abaco's which was nice. Also it was nice that they sailed out of Port Canaveral because I lived near by. They were owned by Greyhound in the beginning as where the Dolphin IV (went on her 8 times) and her sister ships which at one time were owned by Paquet. Which also owned 2other ships. Whats sad is that all of the ships that I sailed on in the early day for the most part are either dismantled (Alang), being dismantled or have sunk.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 11-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

ceemonster, Raoul is correct. Oceanic (aka Big Red Boat I) is still sailing with Pullmantur Cruises (http://www.pullmanturcruises.com/oceanic.html). The ship in the link you provided is the former Big Red Boat III, formerly Dolphin's IslandBreeze, Carnival's Festivale, and Union Castle's Transvaal Castle.

I loved the ships of Premier and Dolphin. To this day, Dolphin remains my favorite cruise line, and SeaBreeze and OceanBreeze among my favorite ships. Our first cruise was on SS Atlantic 17 years ago when she was with Premier. I miss the small-ship atmosphere, the friendliness and professionalism of the crew, the beautiful presentation of the food... I could go on.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:01 PM

Hi Lisa

Well thats great to know. I just know there are 2 Big Red Boats there and one is very large. The Dolphin is still my favorite ship. She was rated best for food and service for so many years. My wife and I actually on one of our cruises on her got to eat at the Captains Table (not the first time though) on this occasion and the Captains or the Oceanic, Emerald Seas, and Royale were eating at our table also. These ships also always had Lobster and Great portions, not to mention the best service.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Here is a photo of the old Oceanic as she looks today.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
Was it Great Stirrup Cay?

Can't remember...

Sandy
hi Great Stirrup Cay was used my NCL (Norway)and is now used by NCL and Disney, Little Stirrup Cay was Used by The Emerald Seas but is "NOW" used by RCCL as Coco Cay, And Salt Cay was used by Premier, Dolphin Cruise Lines and Their sister line and is now used as Dolphin Encounter and is offered as an Excursion on Carnival.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 11-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Salt Cay, aka Blue Lagoon Island, was beautiful. I believe a storm in the mid-1990s changed its configuration, but still a beautiful place to spend a day.

Closed Thread

Tags
big, boat, cay, cruise, disney, india, line, picture, red, royale, salt, scrapped, ship, ships, ss, terminated