Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2003, 11:00 AM

Anyone here been on CLIPPER ADVENTURER? I've only been able to read a few reviews (including this one, which is certainly encouraging).

They're offering 2-for-1 pricing on this cruise which sounds rather interesting.

She looks like a nice little vessel - small, for sure, but with a port every day that should not really be a problem... And for a small ship she has several public areas - lounge, library, a smaller "club", and of course the dining room, not to mention the outer decks.

The lecture program sounds like a nice bonus.

I'm curious as the price is far, far cheaper than most on this ship, the itinerary sounds interesting, and the cruise fits right in to our schedule.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:00 AM

Anyone here been on CLIPPER ADVENTURER? I've only been able to read a few reviews (including this one, which is certainly encouraging).

They're offering 2-for-1 pricing on this cruise which sounds rather interesting.

She looks like a nice little vessel - small, for sure, but with a port every day that should not really be a problem... And for a small ship she has several public areas - lounge, library, a smaller "club", and of course the dining room, not to mention the outer decks.

The lecture program sounds like a nice bonus.

I'm curious as the price is far, far cheaper than most on this ship, the itinerary sounds interesting, and the cruise fits right in to our schedule.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:04 PM

I haven't been on Clipper, but have been on Cruise West, which has similar ships. If you are really into the ports - whether for nature, culture, history, or whatever - then small ships are great. You & your cruisemates don't overwhelm a small port, and the experience is more personal, less like being part of the herd. If you enjoy cruises mostly for the onboard amenities, then you will probably like the larger ships better. You didn't mention where your cruise is going; if Alaska or somewhere else that viewing scenery during the cruising time is possible, then small ships are great for that too.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:08 PM

When all else fails, read the directions... I checked your links, and find the Adventurer is a slightly larger ship than the one I have been on. Probably more similar to Cruise West's Spirit of Oceanus. That's good, as the itinerary you are looking at (indeed interesting!) will probably entail some rough seas. The Adventurer looks to be a stabilized ship, built for oceangoing.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:23 PM

Yep, this isn't one of the little Clipper ships that ply our coastal waters. I guess one of those could be fun but something like this has more attraction to me.

She looks almost like a 1/4 scale (but 1/8 the pax) MARCO POLO, except that her refit is newer and she probably has little in the way of entertainment etc.

She is indeed a stabilized ship and fully oceangoing... Indeed she's been most everywhere, from the Arctic Circle to Antarctica, Europe, North America, South America, you get the idea... Don't know if she's done Asia or Africa but at least in our hemisphere she's really well-travelled.

I managed to find another review (positive - again), here. As noted above, CruisePage does have a review, but there's only one reader review there. There are no professional OR reader reviews on Cruise Critic or CruiseMates, and nothing here (my preferred source of independent reviews) or at Cruise@addicts (in fact Clipper isn't even listed on either site). So not too much out there on her. I wonder why there is such a dearth of reviews for this ship? Perhaps her pax just don't frequent traditional cruising web sites, but consider themselves more "travellers" than "cruise passengers" (probably true)?
Old 06-02-2003, 03:07 PM

Very likely. Clipper is definitely a nontraditional cruise company. They don't advertise much either, and I don't imagine that many TA's have clients that ask for them. I know they've been around quite a while, though.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Karen Knowlton:
Clipper is definitely a nontraditional cruise company. They don't advertise much either, and I don't imagine that many TA's have clients that ask for them. I know they've been around quite a while, though.

They HAVE been around for a long time... And their parent Intrav does some fabulous land stuff as well, including tours with intercity transportation by private jet, etc.!

Normally this is a very expensive ship - a quick glance at her cruises (besides this one) for the rest of the year finds most (excpet this) being in the $4-6,000 per person range, whereas this one starts at under $980. The most similar trip (in length) is nine days in August/September to Atlantic Canada, that one starts at $3,860. This trip is six days and starts at $980. This trip is about $163 pppd, while the other is a whopping $428 pppd!

I wonder what makes this one so much cheaper? True, it's much shorter than most of her cruises (most are two to three weeks) but still the per day amount is much lower... It's significantly lower even without the 2-for-1 pricing.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:10 PM

Good question - maybe it's just not selling well? Sounds like a great opportunity to "sample" Clipper, and see some really unique ports as well.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:41 PM

We spent two weeks on a Baltic cruise with Clipper in June 2001. The ship normally holds about 140 I understand, but there were only 75 on our cruise. We are more "traverlers" than cruise people .. but found this ship, crew, fellow cruisers, food, etc. all delightful It was expensive.... almost $15K. So if they're going where you want to go... grab it. (Crowd was older...of course.. but mostly professionals, well traveled, interesting people.)

Closed Thread

Tags
2000, adventurer, chipper, clipper, clipperadventurerreviews, cruise, latest, review, reviews, ship