Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Hi all,

I am thinking about booking a trip for my dad and myself to the Greek Isles next fall. In the past, I have had great success booking excursions privately. I prefer not being with so many people, and the individual attention we have gotten from guides.

Any idea what success I might have doing this when traveling on Oceania? I have heard lots about their being late to ports, or cancelling them altogether, which will make private excursions a stress. Any thoughts on this?

Also, have any of you booked private excursions for any of the Greek Isles? If so, are there any recommendations for excursion companies?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Hi all,

I am thinking about booking a trip for my dad and myself to the Greek Isles next fall. In the past, I have had great success booking excursions privately. I prefer not being with so many people, and the individual attention we have gotten from guides.

Any idea what success I might have doing this when traveling on Oceania? I have heard lots about their being late to ports, or cancelling them altogether, which will make private excursions a stress. Any thoughts on this?

Also, have any of you booked private excursions for any of the Greek Isles? If so, are there any recommendations for excursion companies?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I guess the success or failure would be with the tour guide you choose .
i have not heard people booked on one particular cruise being singled out to arrive back late.
If you allow enough time to be back at the port you should be OK
On the Almafi coast the traffic can be bad and accidents then hamper the return to the ship so you need to allow for that.
You could check the Oceania board on CC or Yahoo as I am sure many have done the private excursions before and will recommend guides
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oceana...?yguid=2135687
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 08-19-2007, 10:47 AM

Hi

Actually, I was concerned about Oceania being late or canceling ports. Not so much concerned about the excursion providers. Any thoughts on Oceania's reliability for arriving timely and going to the ports scheduled on the itinerary?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by waterart:
Hi

Actually, I was concerned about Oceania being late or canceling ports. Not so much concerned about the excursion providers. Any thoughts on Oceania's reliability for arriving timely and going to the ports scheduled on the itinerary?

Thanks!

Unless there is a problem weather wise they usually are in the port ahead of the scheduled time in my experience.
We missed one port on our British Isles trip due to high winds & we could not tender in...I don't think any other cruiseline would have tried either.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 08-19-2007, 11:08 AM

great. thanks for the info.

is that your preferred cruise line?
Old 08-19-2007, 01:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by waterart:
great. thanks for the info.

is that your preferred cruise line?

It is now.
So I guess I am a little biased.
We have done larger ships but much prefer the open dining, limited smoking areas (2) & less passengers of O

FUTURE CRUISES:

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, forum, greece, marina, oceania, oceaniamarinaexcursions, port, private, regatta, reviews, shore, tours