Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2004, 07:32 PM

Yes my wife and I sailed on the Horizon in June to Bermuda....My wife is mid 30's and I'm 42. I was looking forward to the cruise but soon I could not wait to get off the ship. Its the most boring ship I have ever been on. Its boring to look at inside...more sterile than anything. However the food and service is excellent. As an agent I honestly could not recommend the ship to anyone unless they really wanted a ship that is dead. Again the food was incredible and the service was top notch....Celebrity would be wise to liven up that ship...especially the walls everywhere and the rooms seriously need some upgrading.....if you do sail on the Horizon...ask them to make Fettechini Alfredo with Blackened Chicken....its not on the menu but they will make it and its awesome. Try it.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:55 AM

It seems like everyone has a different opinion! My husband and I took our kids (age 11 and 15) on the MV Horizon from Philadelphia PA to Bermuda in July 2004. We had a fantastic time! Sailing out of Philadelphia was smooth and the embarkation process was easier than some we've been through. The kids were welcomed warmly on the ship and immediately took to the kids' programs. Our 15 year old son particularly enjoyed the teen program and made lots of new friends. The entire ship's staff was very friendly and efficient. We had two outside staterooms and they were more spacious than other ships we have been on. The steward kept the rooms immaculate. There was plenty of storage in each cabin which is rare! The entertainment was better than most we have seen on other cruises. Of course the port of Bermuda was excellent. We went to three beaches and also took a sightseeing tour on a small tour boat. The ship may not be the most decorative or fancy in any fleet but it was well-maintained and clean. My only complaint would be the food, which I found to be too fancy for my tastes. The waiter and busboy were very willing to accommodate any wishes we had however, even getting two hot dogs for our son on one of the formal nights! In all we had a fantastic time on the MV Horizon. With a little sprucing up it should be even better in the future. I highly recommend sailing out of Phila to Bermuda as well.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:08 AM

Hello everybody,

just a note regarding my earlier posting in this thread: the planned reconstruction of "Horizon" I mentioned has not been confirmed yet, and it rather seems the vessel will leave the Celebrity fleet sometime next year. There have been reports it might end up at the British Royal Caribbean / Frist Choice joint-venture Island Cruises.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 10-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Banned

In my opinion it would be wise for Celebrity to remove the Horizon from its fleet! We were more than disapointed with the Horizon.As I have stated before the ship was not just dirty it was filthy. It may be up to some peoples standards but it sure didn't meet our standards. I have read that Celebrity was just leasing this ship hence the poor maintence.I was more than satisfied with the other Celebrity ships that I have been on and will sail with them again, as a matter of fact they are my favorite cruise line.I would like to see Celebrity come up with a ship that is small enough to go under the sky way bridge, I think that this is why they alowwed the total state of disrepair to continue.Just my opinion.
Tom
Old 02-05-2005, 07:46 AM

I can confirm that Horizon is to leave Celebrity and join Island Cruises after a refit.

Bearing in mind "Island Escape"s disastrous first season (cancelled cruises, toilets not flushing) from what people are saying about "Horizon" it should fit in well!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Banned

Mel
I think you are correct. the Horizon will fit in very well.All I can say is good ridance.
Tom
Old 02-09-2005, 04:20 AM

As 'Meldrew' mentioned, the Horizon is indeed set to join Island cruises next year after re-fitting.
I am a travel manager in UK and have watched with great interest the joint RCI/First Choice farce they call Island cruises. We even made a documentary over here about the first few months of the ship!
Island cruises have redeemed themselves somewhat from the disasters surrounding their first season (or so im led to believe!) but they are very much considered the 'poor-mans' cruise, with simple, small accommodation and school canteen style buffets.
There are similar cruise itineraries on the likes of 'Thomson' and 'Ocean Village' but with far, far superior ships.
The Island Escape their first and currently only ship is ex-RCI, but it was old-school RCI and was originally converted from a cruise-ferry, so it has always lacked style and character and is just there to serve a purpose and the 'pile-it-high, sell-it-cheap' masses who want cruise but not at cruise prices. However the moral of me adding this comment is that i have always been a fan of Celebrity and cant help but think that whatever your opinion of the Horizon, that it is a waste sending it to Island and that they will inevitably ruin a perfectly good cruise ship in doing so.
It may have had its day but with the right company to take it on would have many, many years of profitable sailing ahead.
We'll have to see what happens... watch this space!

Rosey

Closed Thread

Tags
bermuda, celebrity, cruise, cruises, horizion, horizon, horizons, june, mv, queen, review, service, ship, ships, victoria