Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Hi Americans,

I just can't do anything else but protest about such reports.
I was several times in the US within the last years. And sure I had to respect the country and its inhabitants the way they are.

Have You heart something about springbreak, do You think this is only an american phenomenon and others don't want to have fun?

On an italian cruise ship You should expect italian people and their usual behaviour!

Three times I cruised with Carnival - how many employees do You think speak german there? If You have bad luck - nobody. But like many french believe, everybody should speak french, I meet more and more americans, who think, that all the world speaks english.

And about the luggage, well I had a similar experience with Carnival, but after 2 or three e-Mails, I had my money back - I wish to You the same luck.

Well I live my life taking the people all over the world just the way they are - and so I love America and its inhabitants!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Americans,

I just can't do anything else but protest about such reports.
So you assume the recent reports were from U.S. citizens? Isn't that a bit presumptive?

I know you can't see the locations of the members, so let me help - those complaining about Costa are not from the U.S.A.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 AM

Hi Rhein,
Thanks for your good luck wishes on the matter of the luggage,I hope to have it resolved as you did.
As is commented on by Dave Beers we are not Americans either,we are Scottish and as you do,like to experience other peoples and other cultures and I'm afraid it is also the British way to be a bit lazy in learning other languages,however in saying that,for hundreds of years English has been the most commonly known and used language across the globe and it will take many years yet for us to catch up. Because of this I dont think a little more tollerance from Costa and similar companies in any business is too much to ask for, most of us do try after all and they do advertise in countries across the world. As good business practice if nothing else this would surely be a good idea, but I personally find in a lot of instances that it is not cannot,but will not make the effort and by that I mean from all sides.

robert a
Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 AM

I am from the US, and I like Costa. Yes, there are loads of children running around. Yes, it is geared towards Italians. Yes, the cuisine is heavily Italian. The ships are very clean, the rooms are very large compared to other ships we've sailed on, and the crew does their best to try to speak English. We've sailed with them 4 times, and have had a great time. It's not the cruise line's fault that the children are unruly, it's the way they were brought up. It's certainly not just the Italian children that are unruly, spoiled, and inconsiderate. Costa is not marketed as an upscale cruising experience and it certainly isn't. Costa is on par with Carnival, it offers a good product for a decent price. It's product is not HAL, Celebrity, Regent, or Azamara. It's Italian, and it's fun. We've never been bored with no adult activities available, there's always been plenty to do. It certainly isn't adults only, there are kids running all over the place. There are very few places to get away from the noise on board, but there are some. Costa is definitely not for everyone, but they are not a bad line. They're a different type of cruise. But no cruise line can control others children. I wouldn't want to take a cruise longer than 7 days on them, but we've always had a good time and enjoyed the food.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM

Hi Dave and Robert,

S O R R Y - I didn't want to make anybody an American citizen - if I could do that ..................
Old 04-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
It's not the cruise line's fault that the children are unruly, it's the way they were brought up.
You are so right Penny, it seems that some parents are happy to let their kids get away with bad behaviour which is not the Cruise lines fault.However I think the cruise line needs to take a certain amount of responsibility for the children who run riot around the ship.They know that a certain amount of bookings are from passengers without children and they should at least make an effort to ensure they also can have a pleasant cruise as well.

Maybe ( knowing they have a problem with unruly children ) they could employ 2 members of staff in official uniform to have a regular patrol in the problem hotspots.To advise the ones with bad behaviour to calm down and make less noise etc. The idea is not to stop kids meeting and having fun, its to make sure the paying passengers around them are not upset by the kids behaviour.
A quiet formal word with parents of uncontrollable kids that the family could be put off at the next port should soon sort things out.

I have no problem with children having a bit of fun & even letting of a bit of steam but this doesn't excuse blatent rudeness to adults, pushing & shoving and excessive bad behaviour.

Finally, I am not American, I am from the UK where we also have problems with unruly & badly behaved children.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Part of the issue is in the planning of the cruiseline of choice and time of the sailing selected. Costa and MSC both have "Kids Sail Free" programs. With these incentives you'll find many more children onboard than with other lines doing similar itineraries. With more common North American lines, RCCL and Carnival draw lots of families even without free children promos during spring break, summer vacation times and holidays. This is especially the case on short (less than 7 day) sailings. The shorter the cruise and lower cost, the more families with school aged children during these times.

This is one of the areas where having guidance from a cruise professional during your cruise planning would come in handy to direct you toward the right line and ship to meet your expectations. There is more to planning a cruise than how many nights, which ports and the cost. This thread and others like it are a great source to find what other people have experienced as well. Matching the right cruise with the clients expectations is an easy thing to do with a few questions. However if you call in a booking to a cruiseline or agency and say I want to book the _______ on ________ date you're going to be booked without the benefit of such direction. Ask a few questions and be sure you're going to get the experience you want before plunking down your money and hoping for the best.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-21-2008, 11:49 AM

That's not a bad idea Jack2007. Costa doesn't enforce the no children in the adult pool, Princess does (at least I've seen them do it). I guess they're afraid they will offend the parents who turn their heads and say, "not my child, he/she is my little angel and does no wrong". I totally understand not enjoying unruly children or drunk adults for that matter. Of course, most cruise lines do seem to handle the drunks due to the safety factor. It would be a good idea if they'd realize that kids running around can be a danger as well. Maybe if people were honest on the comment cards it would help.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 AM

I just pack lots of tranquilizer darts...

Closed Thread

Tags
arrive, costa, costacruise, costacruze, cruise, cruises, disappointing, line, location, port, review, reviews, rome, time, toddler