Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 02:34 PM

Planning trip Christmas 2005, Caribbean. The ship appears to be beautiful, but wondering about service and food. We are hearing mixed reviews and would like to hear from cruisers with first hand Costa (especially Majica) experience. Any recommendations???
Old 07-20-2005, 01:33 AM

If your refering to Costa Maya then I can tell you about it. I was there last October as it subsituted for Grand Caymen due to Hurricaine Ivan. It was not a good port unless you like $4 cokes or $6 beer. There is really no town, just an area built exclusively for cruise ships. Lots of overpriced shopping and overpriced food. Expect to pay 50% more for everything compaired to cozumel.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 AM

Vice,
Welcome to cruise-chat. Actually this post is about a new Costa ship (Costa Magica). Sounds like you did not enjoy Costa Maya much. Too bad you didn't exit the "port village" as right outside there is a stand where you can rent golf carts and head into Majahual and the surrounding countryside (the real fishing village of this region). It was quite fun and not nearly as costly ($1 for a cerveza / $2 for margaritas/inexpensive Mexican souvenirs and handicrafts).

sderrico,
Welome to cruise-chat also! I sailed on the Costa Med and had a good time, but it is not the typical American-Caribbean cruise experience. As for food and service, it seems to get mixed reviews. I thought the food and service were both quite good on my cruise, but I know others hae been less impressed. I wrote a mega-review for our parent site, Cruise Reviews, which might give you some idea of what's in store. Here is the link:
http://www.cruisereviews.com/Costa/C...iterranea1.htm

If you have any other questions after reading the review - please fire away! Hopefully there will be some other posters that have been on the Magica to give you more information.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-26-2005, 08:17 AM

My wife and I did the Costa Magica cruise from Italy to Alexandria, Cyprus, Rhodes, Limossol and Athens in February 2005. As far as the ship is concern, it was beautiful throughtout with marble and granite tabletops throughout. The cabin was adequate as far as cruise ship cabins go. You're only going there to wash up and sleep anyway. The food was excellent especially if you like Italian. The entertainment was professional every evening. Our biggest complaint would be the size of the ship. In the past we have cruised on smaller ships of various cruise lines. This ship was monstrous. Going on the excursions was well planned if you don't mind getting to the sites with dozens and dozens of buses. Another problem was our fellow passengers. The Italians and French were rudest, most unfriendly people we have ever met on a cruise where in past cruises most everyone was in a hoiliday mood. The bottom line: we will cruise again but not on a mega-liner. Although everything was well planned, the ship was just too big for our tastes.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sderrico:
Planning trip Christmas 2005, Caribbean. The ship appears to be beautiful, but wondering about service and food. We are hearing mixed reviews and would like to hear from cruisers with first hand Costa (especially Majica) experience. Any recommendations???
I've cruised Costa twice, both times in Europe. The food and service were fine. In Europe, the passengers were mostly European and we English-speakers comprised less than 5% of the passengers on our cruises. We didn't mind at all, except that a LOT of people were smoking, all the time.

The entertainment was cabaret-style shows, that didn't need language for the most part. All announcements were made in 5 languages, and, as is typical for Europeans, most staff that had passenger contact spoke numerous languages. I really enjoyed seeing that. Even the emcee for each show did his introductions and comments in 4 or 5 languages. Impressive!

In the Caribbean, I'm not sure if the same non-language dependant shows are done or what else may be different than in Europe. But we found the food and service to be great. Especially if you like that pasta course with each meal!

Sandy
Old 12-06-2005, 10:27 AM

My wife and myself from Ottawa Canada and another couple from Toronto Canada are very much lookinh forward to an excellent Virgin Islands New Years cruise departing Ft. Lauderdale Fla. on the 26th of Dec.05
I enjoy sea food and I was wondering if anyone who has travelled Costa Magica could enlighten me about the existance of shell fish on the menus such as shrimp or lobsters.Look forward to hear from anybody.....
Old 12-20-2005, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2cruise:
My wife and myself from Ottawa Canada and another couple from Toronto Canada are very much lookinh forward to an excellent Virgin Islands New Years cruise departing Ft. Lauderdale Fla. on the 26th of Dec.05
I enjoy sea food and I was wondering if anyone who has travelled Costa Magica could enlighten me about the existance of shell fish on the menus such as shrimp or lobsters.Look forward to hear from anybody.....
Old 12-20-2005, 04:46 AM

DONT DO IT this cruise SUCKED just got back from freeport-ft lauderdale on 4 day cruise never again spend the extra cash ship is very nice had balcony but food was badddddd show was ok very few speak english you probably already booked so take food. room servce is free anytime but no good- take your own food -had shrimp on main dinner night yuck good luck
Old 12-21-2005, 12:44 PM

We just read on the german board, that the transatlantic crossing with the Magica was terrible. Food was bad, never get a deckchair, loud (really loud) and bad (really bad), thats what he was writing.
Maybe its different on a crossing, but to read about such a bad experience, is not good.
Many people say, thats the problem with Carnival. Since they are running Costa, the problems began and it changed from an italian line to .... donīt know how I can explain it.
If somebody wants to know more, I could try to translate it.
Marita

Old 12-21-2005, 02:27 PM

Itīs me again.
I just read on the german board from another user, who was on the same cruise, the total oppisite. So you can see, that people on the same cruise tell different stories.
I mentioned the same when I read another Review on cruisereview from a passenger, we met on the Splendour. He also wrote a review for this board and in some parts, our percipiencies very totally different and in some parts almost the same.
So, there is no answer we can give you. Percipiencies are suvjective and depending on the way, people expecting. We are people, who are making the best of it, its our vacation, we deserve it. And even if itīs not what we expected, weīll try to enjoy it.

Sorry, for not better explanation.
Marita

Closed Thread

Tags
cestamagicacombr, mail