Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Default I'm back from a tour of Queen Elizabeth
What a marvelous afternoon! Cunard's Queen Elizabeth made her maiden call on Boston today, and I was able to go onboard for a tour and for the plaque exchange ceremony.

Her interior is stunning. (Wish I could say the same for the boxy exterior, but the interior more than compensates.) The styling is art deco, in a nod to her predecessor, RMS Queen Elizabeth of 1940. The paneling is faux wood, yet works. Colors are muted, although not dull, and an occasional pop of color adds to the warm ambiance. She is also a big ship. I'm in pretty good shape, and found it a long walk from bow to stern. Thankfully, there are just four public decks (the rest are devoted to cabins or the spa), so it is relatively easy to get around.

Although she is a modified version of HAL's Vista class ships, she is clearly a Cunarder. As such, she is a floating museum. Several artifacts from Queen Elizabeth 2 are onboard, as are paintings of prior Cunard ships. Oh, how I wanted to stop in the bookshop, which was open in port!

There's no replacing my QE2, yet I can see myself on the new QE. I'll post some photos over the weekend, if not sooner. Happy to answer whatever questions I can.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 PM

How exciting for you. It sounds real nice.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 PM
What a great opportunity, Lisa; thank you for the overview. I too wish they had given the profile more of a nod to the classic liners, like Queen Mary II; but the interior sounds wonderful.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 AM

How marvelous, Lisa. I would love to sail on either of the queens. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Tags
art, cruiseship, cunard, deco, elizabeth, exchange, forum, ill, interior, plaque, powered, qe, queen, queenelizabethmaidenboston, vbulletin