Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Billy,

I am not willing to go that far at this point in time. This event doesn't present itself to me as evidence of a pervasive breakdown in safety by Costa. It seems more like a Captain who got too loose with his ship.

But, we'll see. I will certainly be studying this event closely, as I know you will be too.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Dave ...In reviewing the passenger videos taken aboard ship I see no Officers of any rank present assisting or directing or advising any course of action whatsoever! I do see Crewmen with the Blank stare of fear and lack of direction...I remember that look well...in combat....and I have seen that look disappear when leadership takes over. So far I have not viewed anything to change My obeservation...I am reviewing many foreign information sources now...but I am not observing any show of leadership yet! I hope I do soon...I hope to hear some more encouraging survival stories to allay my misgivings!!

BillyBuzzy

Last edited by billybuzzy; 01-15-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
I have been reading up on this Costa Concordia tragedy. Unfortunately, I heard stories about the Captain and top crew, which brings back memories of what happened on the Oceanos. I have heard reports that the Captain of the Costa Concordia (just like the Captain of the Oceanos) was the first to leave the ship. I heard that the first passengers to leave the Concordia, swam to a nearby island, to discover the Captain and his top crew were already there. In addition, the chaos that issued as people struggled to abandon ship was a result of the lack of leadership from the senior crew, as well as the lack of preparation (such as not having a Muster Drill), so I heard. IF those stories are true, that is totally despicable and unprofessional behavior on the part of the Captain and senior crew. You would think that lessons learned from the Oceanos, would never cause such events to be repeated (this time it was worse because no lives were lost on the Oceanos).

I also heard that the Captain of the Concordia gave an entirely different account of the events. He said he was the last to leave the ship. So I don't know what to believe.

Hopefully in time the whole truth will be revealed.

Last edited by Frase; 01-15-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Excerpt from Carnival Corporation and plc statement on the financial impact.

"The company has insurance coverage for damage to the vessel with a deductible of approximately $30 million as well as insurance for third party personal injury liability subject to an additional deductible of approximately $10 million for this incident. The company self-insures for loss of use of the vessel.

A damage assessment review of the vessel is currently being undertaken to determine how long it will be out of service. The vessel is expected to be out of service for the remainder of our current fiscal year if not longer. For the fiscal year ending November 30, the impact to 2012 earnings for loss of use is expected to be approximately $85-$95 million or $0.11-$0.12 per share. In addition, the company anticipates other costs to the business that are not possible to determine at this time."
Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Administrator

New images taken by the rescue divers at the wreckage site. Note that there indeed is damage to the starboard side hull, which I initially doubted had occurred. I tend to think this happened after the initial collision, likely when the Captain took the ship in to the island.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Administrator

One of the better articles I've read so far regarding the disaster.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM
While there has been a lot of chastisement of the parties involved in this maritime disaster.....We must also recognize that over 4000 passsengers and crew have survived the disaster.....That certainly indicates that a significant portion of the Officers, Staff and Crew were performing their duties to the best of their respective abilities in the midst of the confusion. Those that did do their duty need be recognized and praised! From the Ashes of a Disaster should rise the Roses of Success!
The heroes will gradually emerge......and this story will be viewed in a different and...hopefully...in a somewhat better light!

BillyBuzzy
Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 PM

We were wondering today at work if the insurance company will pay as this was caused by human error, that's has not been proven yet, but if this is the case everyone was saying that all insurance companies have a clause getting out of paying if it was not caused by a failure in the actual ship itself that caused this. We were just windering. I know myself that insurance companies will look at the fine print and try to get out of paying the whole amount.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Good point, wooddon. I saw something earlier today about the insurance that Carnival Corp. has on the ship (both property and liability), yet don't recall the details--and I'm sure all of them were not disclosed publicly, anyway. Time will tell, I suppose.

BillyBuzzy, I've been looking at it the same way. After seeing some of the photographs, it is amazing, and a testament to the crew, how more than 4,000 individuals were evacuated within a span of a couple of hours. Of course, my thoughts and prayers are with those who remain unaccounted for, as we ll as with their families.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 AM

What I find most troubling is with all the modern technology and improvements.the water tight doors and parts of the hull sectioned off, that in 2012 this could still happen. Had this been in Alaska with submerged ice this ship would be at the bottom of the sea and not resting on it's side. Not enough life boats for all the people in 2012. are you kidding me? I believe this is the exact same ship Carnival is sailing in the Caribbean.

Tags
abandoned, breaking, capsideing, concordia, costa, cruise, cruises, cs, design, forum, lineemergency, location, news, reviews, ship