Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   All Other Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/all-other-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Costa Changing My Port of Embarkment to a Different Country?? Need Advice (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/all-other-cruise-lines/37810-costa-changing-my-port-embarkment-different-country-need-advice.html)

mmercier07 01-23-2012 08:33 AM

Costa Changing My Port of Embarkment to a Different Country?? Need Advice

I booked my honeymoon cruise on the Costa Magica in June 2011 for a sail date of May 26th 2012. I just checked the Costa website and it seems that they pulled the Magica to cover the route of the sunken Concordia. I was originally supose to sail out of Le Havre (I prepaid for a non-refundable hotel, the cruise and roundtrip airfare from Chicago to Paris). Now Costa moved the NeoRomantica to cover the route of the Magica and changed the port of departure to Amsterdam instead of Le Havre without notifying me. It is now a 9 night cruise instead of 8 nights. I called Costa multiple times and they say that they "cannot comment" on this and that someone will contact me sometime before my cruise but they can not give me a date. I asked to speak to a supervisor and even they cannot comment. At this point I have no idea what to do. Is Costa known for resolving situations like this or should I just cut my loses and try to pull out? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2012 MEDITERRANEAN ITINERARIES UPDATE

billybuzzy 01-23-2012 08:46 AM

Contact your TA (Travel Agent) for assistance. I have had a change on Carnival recently for a 2013 cruise. Carnival did offer reimbursement for costs incurred as a result...Fortunately, no other costs were involved. I did transfer to another cruise at a later date and my cost of the cruise was price protected. But this was on Carnival and not Costa. I suggest you repost on the Costa page!

BillyBuzzy

mmercier07 01-23-2012 08:53 AM

Thanks...Good to hear that they at least give compensation. Since Costa is owned by Carnival hopefully it will go smooth.

billybuzzy 01-23-2012 09:55 AM

Don't forget...If You have paid these expenses on Your Credit Card You should have some leverage thru the Credit Card company itself. Even airlines can help...if there is a flight change necessary.....It might be well worth the extra fee for the change....Honeymoons are irreplaceable...and...You may get more help than You are expecting!! As they say...."Don't Give Up the Ship"!!! No pun intended!!

Best Of Luck and Congratulations!!

BillyBuzzy

Cruise Fanatic 01-28-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmercier07 (Post 292354)
Thanks...Good to hear that they at least give compensation. Since Costa is owned by Carnival hopefully it will go smooth.

Costa is owned by Carnival Corporation and PLC. not Carnival Cruise Lines. There is a difference. Each cruise line operates independently. I would think Costa would give you some type of reimbursement for the change and inconvenience. However; if your air and pre-hotel weren't booked through the cruise line I wouldn't expect full reimbursement. That should be covered under the travel insurance policy you took out to protect your vacation.

MCPayne 01-29-2012 06:29 PM

mmercier07

I'm not sure whether you booked directly through Costa Cruises or a Travel Agent. If you booked through a Travel Agent, call them to see what they can do about giving you funds to cover costs, etc. This is another good reason to purchase travel insurance right after you book a cruise.

If you do decide to cut loose, so to speak, check the cancellation policy on your cruise contract. I don't remember what the deadline is, but I'm not even sure if you'll get any money back.

Also, I would suggest, as another person mentioned, maybe posting this in the "All other cruise lines" section, as you're referring to Costa Cruises, and not Carnival Cruise Lines. Just send a private message to one of the admins, and they can probably move it.

LisaP 01-29-2012 08:59 PM

I just looked up the itineraries for Costa neoRomantica, and noticed that the June 1 sailing from Amsterdam also allows embarkation in Le Havre on June 7. There's also a sailing that allows you to embark in Le Havre a week earlier, May 30. If you are able to change your sail date from May 26 to May 30 or June 7, perhaps Costa will pick up the fee to change the dates of your flights. If not, your travel insurance may.

Let us know how it goes.