Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default Passengers kicked off ship for missing lifeboat drill

Zero Tolerance Policies!

New rules for cruise passengers come with absolutely no exceptions and you need to know!

One couple had their entire vacation turned upside down becaiuse of a new "Zero Tolerance Policy"

New rules for cruise passengers come with absolutely no exceptions and you need to know!

I love the line in a Seinfeld episode "I'm lactose intolerant and I absolutely won't tolerate it." It reminds me how ridiculous certain rules can sound at times. There are a lot of well-known expressions about rules, probably because they convey one of the most fundamental questions about "the rule of law."

What is more important when it comes to rules; the rule itself or the spirit of that rule? We all know what the rule of law means; it is what the rule says. So, what is the spirit of the law? Generally, it means everyone is safe, happy and unhindered. In such cases, the "no harm no foul" principle should apply.

Last edited by Cruisemates; 05-18-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Some of my regular readers may be shocked when I say I think Seabourn went too far in this instance. The couple in question were doing back-to-back cruises and had already attended the muster drill on the first segment. They were also in the same cabin and had the same muster station for the 2nd segment.

Giving them the heave-ho was excessive and I think mostly a knee-jerk response to the Concordia disaster. Plus the husband did go to the 2nd drill, so why not just handle the situation with his wife with a one-on-one drill later if they thought it was so vital? Again, it wasn't as though she had not attended a drill, just not 'this one'.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
You are a voice of reason, Dave; Seabourn's response was definitely excessive.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Rick. There is actually more to the story! Seabourn markets it as a 21 night cruise, as well as three 7 night cruises. So what if you booked it as the 21 night version?

Another example I have: suppose you are on a 100 day world cruise that has 15 different segments. Does this mean you have to attend 15 muster drills? No doubt by the 3rd drill the crew could take a break and let the prior passengers supervise the drill for the newbies.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 PM

We just came back from doing a B2B with Princess and they advise us not to attend the second muster drill as we already done the first one. We will never set foot on this cruise line. We would sue the cruise line if this happen to us or our parents. They went way over board on this issue. If you are sick I would not want you staying beside me and making us sick as well, what I mean is you had a virus or stomach flu. This is plain stupid on the cruise line part. We were on Celebrity this past spring and during the muster drill we could not even get near the room to see or hear what was been shown or say. We never did see the demo as did many other people as it was just very pack with people.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 PM

What a shame. I feel sorry for this elderly couple. Seabourn's actions were way too harsh. I can't even imagine any cruise line leaving a 90 year man and his 84 year old wife stranded in a foreign port. She should have been taken to the infirmary--NOT KICKED OFF THE SHIP!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Breaking news: Cruisemates editor Paul Motter has been in communication with this elderly couple's agent since the incident happened. The agent (Steve Shulum) was diligent and ended up speaking personally with the Seabourn president. As a result the couple will be getting a refund for the days they missed, or approximately 14 days worth. They had booked the full 21 days and had completed the first week.

"Shulem says that he spoke personally to Seabourn president Rick Meadows and that Seabourn had thought about the issue and decided a compromise was in the best interest of everyone. The exact refund will be the per diem amount of the cost of the cruise for the number of days the couple will not be on the ship."
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the update, Dave. I'm still confused about whether it was a 21 night booking or 3 separate 7 night bookings. As you noted before, if it was a 21 night booking only one muster drill would be required.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the update. However I wish that there was more information as to why they were removed in the first place. I have talked to lot of people who work in the cruise industry and they are amaze as to what happen. They have never heard of making guests attend the muster grill again on a B2B. Plus they say if you do miss it, they will give you a private session, not kick you off.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM

I can see doing the drill again on a B2B if you are changing to a different cabin since you're life boat station can be in a different area. What is puzzling in this situation is why Seabourn never gave the lady the chance for a make up drill.

Tags
boat, cruise, drill, kicked, life, lifeboat, miss, missing, muster, princess, purpose, seabourn, ship, skip, wife, work