Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > All Other Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 05:26 PM

Question MSC Fantasia - Questions
My family are seriously considering taking a 22 day cruise on MSC Fantasia in March, 2014 around the Eastern and Western Mediterranean. This is combining two separate 11 day cruises. MSC have been marketing this combined cruise for Australians.

After scouring the internet and reading hundreds of reviews, it would seem that the reviews are not that good. The major concern would be the quality of the food served onboard!

As I am taking my 8 year old daughter with us, I would like to know any information about the children's programs onboard. Do MSC organise programs to have them entertained all day, or are they left to their own devices? Are children also allowed to stay in the cabin unattended?

We have been debating whether to buy the Allegrissimo Premium alcohol/drinks package. This would cost AU$163 per day for our cabin! We are drinkers in that we would most likely consume a bottle of wine at lunch and again at dinner with a few spirits or cocktails each in between. Does anyone know the current prices for a bottle of white wine and a bourbon and coke? What price is the cocktail of the day?

Any information about the kids programs or alcohol, or anything else for that matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Administrator

All I can say is that many of the poor MSC reviews come from cruisers who are not accustomed to MSC having a very much Italian style of cruise and service. A couple of our moderators have cruised with MSC so perhaps they'll give you some insights.

Booze packages....rarely worth it unless you want the convenience of not handing your card over every time you order a drink.

Leaving a child in the cabin alone is up to you. I personally wouldn't do it, but you don't need permission from the ship to do it. It is never a good idea if you are planning to leave the ship and let a youngster stay aboard unsupervised. Not sure what you are getting at with that question.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Dave,
Thanks for your information.
I was talking about leaving a youngster in the room for about an hour after dinner only! I would also not dream of leaving the boat with a youngster unattended onboard.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Administrator

The reason I mentioned it is because we've had members ask about leaving the children aboard while the adults went ashore, and they were talking about little kids. I never understood why they'd want to do that.

MSC follows the typical kids programs plan with daytime activities at scheduled times. It wouldn't be an all-day continuous thing, but rather one with set start/stop times such as for lunch, and to give the staff a break and provide time for cleaning of the activity rooms.

A common thing I've heard about MSC is their service is not as anticipatory as you'd find on most other lines, but rather a 'if you want something more than the basics, ask and we'll do it' approach. Some prefer it that way as it is less fawning, but those who like the pampering look at it as poor service. And hence a lot of negative reviews.

Tags
allegrissimo, beverage, boat, cabins, cat, cruise, cruises, drinks, fantasia, faq, msc, mssc, package, packages, premium, questions, reviews